Ask a Trad Question & Get Answer: Quick Q&A

Howard

Connoisseur
It’s easy to find neckties—still in good condition—in thrift stores.

Wherever you find your ties, make sure you avoid ones that are too wide, or too garish. Stick with “quiet” ties.

And you can’t go wrong with silk knit ties that are solid black or solid navy.
I only have clip on ties that are colored black and one red, the neckties I keep in my closet cause I get frustrated with tying them, I keep them simple wearing just clip on ones.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Charley, can I still keep those clip on ties for special occasions?
Howard, if you are at a wedding or a funeral—and thus wearing a suit—and you think the chances are extremely high that you’ll be involved in a fistfight—then go ahead and wear a clip-on tie. That way, your opponent won’t be able to strangle you with it. If he (or she) grabs your tie with every intention of cutting off your air supply, the joke will be on him (or her).

Ha! Imagine the puzzled look on your adversary’s face when he (or she) is standing there with a handful of clip-on necktie.

Except for dressed-up hand-to-hand combat, there are no “special occasions” that would call for a clip-on tie.

Howard

Connoisseur
Howard, if you are at a wedding or a funeral—and thus wearing a suit—and you think the chances are extremely high that you’ll be involved in a fistfight—then go ahead and wear a clip-on tie. That way, your opponent won’t be able to strangle you with it. If he (or she) grabs your tie with every intention of cutting off your air supply, the joke will be on him (or her).

Ha! Imagine the puzzled look on your adversary’s face when he (or she) is standing there with a handful of clip-on necktie.

Except for dressed-up hand-to-hand combat, there are no “special occasions” that would call for a clip-on tie.
Believe me Charley I have never been involved in a fistfight at a wedding or a funeral, last time I been to a wedding was almost 25 years ago and the last time I went to a funeral was at My Grandmother's, she had turned 100 years old a couple of weeks before she had passed, she died in 2017. ☹️

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Believe me Charley I have never been involved in a fistfight at a wedding or a funeral, last time I been to a wedding was almost 25 years ago and the last time I went to a funeral was at My Grandmother's, she had turned 100 years old a couple of weeks before she had passed, she died in 2017. ☹️
My belated condolences on the loss of your grandmother. Thank goodness she had a long, full life.

Since you manage to stay out of fights at weddings and funerals, then you have all the more reason to get rid of those clip-on neckties.

Howard

Connoisseur
My belated condolences on the loss of your grandmother. Thank goodness she had a long, full life.

Since you manage to stay out of fights at weddings and funerals, then you have all the more reason to get rid of those clip-on neckties.
But I'm only pushing carts, this is not a wedding or special occasion.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
But I'm only pushing carts, this is not a wedding or special occasion.
Exactly! Your chances of getting into a knock-down, drag-out fight are much less at work than at a special social event. That means you don’t need to resort to a clip-on tie while pushing carts.

Save the clip-ons for those functions where you’re most likely to find yourself in the middle of a brawl, such as wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs, or your niece’s kindergarten graduation.

Let me put it this way, Howard: Do you still use a sippy cup?

No.

Do you still use a booster seat in restaurants?

No.

Then you shouldn’t wear a clip-on necktie.

Do keep a couple of them in reserve in case you join MI6 or Kingsman, in which case you’ll stand a good chance, while all suited up, of going mano a mano with various henchmen for villains bent on world domination. Then you’ll be glad you had the foresight to don the clip-on.

True, the peril you’d be in as an international secret agent wouldn’t come anywhere near what you’d face at the typical wedding reception or confirmation, but being prepared makes all the difference between being a good spy and a dead spy.

For cart work, ditch the clips.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
In short, a clip-on tie, no matter how nice it looks, is recognizable as a clip-on tie and commands less respect than a tie you tie yourself. For reasons I have never understood, tying your own bowtie commands even more respect, and a minimally askew knot garners more respect, not less. If you try tying a bow tie I have two suggestions. They are usually adjustable. Set it at half an inch over your collar size. Next, try tying it without looking in a mirror. Just put it on and tie it without looking, just the way you would tie your shoes. You can straighten and adjust it with a mirror, but watching a bow being tied in a mirror just seems to confuse people.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Seriously, Howard:

You want to step up your sartorial game by wearing a necktie. That’s wonderful.

But when you put on a clip-on tie, you’re actually stepping down your game.

Wear a tie that you have to tie. Either a bow tie or a long tie.

Do you think that knotting the tie is too difficult? As I told you previously: practice. Then it will eventually get easy.

If you don’t want to wear a tie-it-yourself tie, then don’t wear a tie at all.

fishertw

Elite Member
I think bowties are perfect for that sort of work. They don't get caught in things or spilled on, and they are super easy to tie, just like shoes!
I agree TK- there are professions where either bow ties or clip on's are necessary. My grandfather was a printer, as was his son and grandson. My uncle nearly died getting his tie caught in a printing press one time. I have photos of my grandfather in the 1930's wearing a suit to work as a printer at a newspaper. He always had his tie tucked into his shirt for this very reason. I never saw him wear a bow tie nor clip on(dont think they had clip on's back then) but he was always careful.

Howard

Connoisseur
Exactly! Your chances of getting into a knock-down, drag-out fight are much less at work than at a special social event. That means you don’t need to resort to a clip-on tie while pushing carts.

Save the clip-ons for those functions where you’re most likely to find yourself in the middle of a brawl, such as wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs, or your niece’s kindergarten graduation.

Let me put it this way, Howard: Do you still use a sippy cup?

No.

Do you still use a booster seat in restaurants?

No.

Then you shouldn’t wear a clip-on necktie.

Do keep a couple of them in reserve in case you join MI6 or Kingsman, in which case you’ll stand a good chance, while all suited up, of going mano a mano with various henchmen for villains bent on world domination. Then you’ll be glad you had the foresight to don the clip-on.

True, the peril you’d be in as an international secret agent wouldn’t come anywhere near what you’d face at the typical wedding reception or confirmation, but being prepared makes all the difference between being a good spy and a dead spy.

For cart work, ditch the clips.
Then perhaps a zipper tie, I know you're going to say no too, Am I right?

Howard

Connoisseur
Seriously, Howard:

You want to step up your sartorial game by wearing a necktie. That’s wonderful.

But when you put on a clip-on tie, you’re actually stepping down your game.

Wear a tie that you have to tie. Either a bow tie or a long tie.

Do you think that knotting the tie is too difficult? As I told you previously: practice. Then it will eventually get easy.

If you don’t want to wear a tie-it-yourself tie, then don’t wear a tie at all.
I get frustrated, Charley.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I get frustrated, Charley.
My opinion is that you should wear a tie-it-yourself tie. But that’s only my opinion.

Having said that:

If you are dead-set against tying a tie, then go with a zipper tie; at least that contraption—because it does have a part that encircles your neck—comes closer to simulating a “real” tie than a clip-on does.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
My opinion is that you should wear a tie-it-yourself tie. But that’s only my opinion.

Having said that:

If you are dead-set against tying a tie, then go with a zipper tie; at least that contraption—because it does have a part that encircles your neck—comes closer to simulating a “real” tie than a clip-on does.

Before reading the two posts above, I had never heard of a zipper tie. However, with the convenience of You Tube I am now well aware of the design and function of the beast. I think I will stick with my tie ties....its just too hard to teach an old dog new tricks! LOL. Thanks for today's tidbit of new knowledge. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
Before reading the two posts above, I had never heard of a zipper tie. However, with the convenience of You Tube I am now well aware of the design and function of the beast. I think I will stick with my tie ties....its just too hard to teach an old dog new tricks! LOL. Thanks for today's tidbit of new knowledge. ;)
A zipper tie is a tie that is pre-made for you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange