Ask a Trad Question & Get Answer: Quick Q&A

ran23

Bancroft Suits?? there is a 40-S on ebay for about $20 (sale). I have few 40 suits and lots of 38 jacket that are too tight now. I have two better suits and this would be a casual/ travel suit. Good measurements, except tailor the sleeves.
Just found out it is 60% poly. too bad

Last edited:

August West

I've never owned a flannel suit. I'm thinking about getting one. The current Press offerings look temping. I've got a trip to London planned for the beginning of Oct, which would be the suits maiden voyage should I chose to make the purchase. Temps then average low in the 50's and highs typically low to mid 60's; though anyone that's been to London knows it just about always feels colder than the numbers due to dampness, relatively lack of sunshine etc.

I do spend a fair amount of time outside walking from meeting to meeting around the city. I don't ever stay in any one spot indoors for more than 2 hours at a time.
Thoughts on whether or not I'm pushing the envelope wearing flannel in London early Oct? I'm thinking I may be, but I'm open to someone swaying me in the other direction.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've never owned a flannel suit. I'm thinking about getting one. The current Press offerings look temping. I've got a trip to London planned for the beginning of Oct, which would be the suits maiden voyage should I chose to make the purchase. Temps then average low in the 50's and highs typically low to mid 60's; though anyone that's been to London knows it just about always feels colder than the numbers due to dampness, relatively lack of sunshine etc.

I do spend a fair amount of time outside walking from meeting to meeting around the city. I don't ever stay in any one spot indoors for more than 2 hours at a time.
Thoughts on whether or not I'm pushing the envelope wearing flannel in London early Oct? I'm thinking I may be, but I'm open to someone swaying me in the other direction.

I love flannel and think 50s is perfect for what you plan as you won't need a coat over your suit as the flannel will provide enough warmth when outside. Even the low 60s is fine for flannel, especially, as you note, if it is damp. So outside, I think you'll be fine. I am also fine inside in a flannel suit even if the room is, say 70, as long as I can take the suit jacket off when I feel like it. Sounds like a good trip - enjoy.

August West

I love flannel and think 50s is perfect for what you plan as you won't need a coat over your suit as the flannel will provide enough warmth when outside. Even the low 60s is fine for flannel, especially, as you note, if it is damp. So outside, I think you'll be fine. I am also fine inside in a flannel suit even if the room is, say 70, as long as I can take the suit jacket off when I feel like it. Sounds like a good trip - enjoy.

Thanks Fading. I'm runing the London Marathon first weekend of Oct, and decided to make a work trip out of it while I'm there. Wish I could say I was mixing business with pleaure, but the marathon is more pain than pleasure.

I was thinking the same thing about not needed a coat. I jump a lot from office to office, restaurant to pub etc. Having to deal with taking a coat on and off is always a hassle.

As to taking the suit jacket off, even 10 years ago over there that was a big no no, but now things are much more relaxed, relatively speaking .

phzanella

Starting Member
What is the difference between dress pants, slacks, trousers, chinos & khakis?

I don't wear a suit to work, but wear a lab coat. I own two suits but don't want to wear out the matched pants faster than the jacket. What type of pants should I be looking for other than dark colored cotton chinos?

LewisDias

I'm thinking about buying a patagonia better sweater but I'd like your opinion if this will only work for walking outdoors or if it will also look good casually with a shirt underneath and a chino or jeans?
patagonia-better-sweater.jpg

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
What is the difference between dress pants, slacks, trousers, chinos & khakis?

I don't wear a suit to work, but wear a lab coat. I own two suits but don't want to wear out the matched pants faster than the jacket. What type of pants should I be looking for other than dark colored cotton chinos?
In my opinion slacks connotes dressy trousers or pants. Dress pants generally connotes pants that are tailored and have noticeable drape. Khakis and chinos seem to be interchangeable terms for cotton twills that are certainly more tailored than jeans but are stiff enough not to drape the way something like a tropical worsted or a wool flannel would.

For your proposed use I'd look at gabardines and, in hotter months, poplins and seersucker. When it gets cooler fine wake cords may work well. I do not know what colors you like, but for pants that are the least bit dressy I like the entire spectrum of greys, olives, and taupes. I tend to shy away from navy except for suits. Some patterns like glen plaids can break the monotony.

Since we are on the Trad forum, I also love the rare but festive wearing of go to hell pants like bright red or purple cords. Critter pants would not be work friendly.

Have fun!

phzanella

Starting Member
Came across this tie online in a sale that has ended and the listing is gone. Anyone have an idea where I can find a similar tie?

Also are Borrelli pants with a composition of 66/33 polyester/cotton worthwhile?
1631476677530.png

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange