Bachelor cooking

VS

The power and wonder of leftovers.

On Sunday, throw a roast, potatoes, and carrots in a pan, with a bit of water and herbs and red wine.

For Sunday lunch you have roast. The rest of the week you have fajita fodder, roast beef sandwiches, stir fry... (you already have that rice.)

When you work weird hours, having to just saute some precut beef strips, peppers and onions with cumin and red pepper and put them in a tortilla is a priceless time saver.

Ditto roast chicken. Roast chicken, and the next day, you have cold chicken caesar salad, very nice. Another great chicken salad consists of dark leafy lettuce, cold or warm herbed chicken pieces, walnuts, dried cranberries and vinaigrette.

Armchair

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I made a fantastic beef stifado today. Even better is the fact that there are leftovers for later in the week.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
My parents drove up for Thanksgiving from the DC suburbs with about 80 gallons of a lamb stew in great tubs in a cooler. It is now in my freezer.

Plus Mom went nuts at the Stop and Shop and so now my ocbds are sharing space in what would be the pantry (in a normal household) with foodstuffs. Most disturbing to my bachelor way of thinking, but welcome nonetheless. (More money for clothes and fishing stuff.)

Prepdad

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Shirts in the pantry... drip-drying from the chandelier... this is what you people up east would probably call Yankee ingenuity. In the south we would call it slightly daff. Nevertheless, the thought has occured to me that you ought to be able to come up with something clever to do with the dishwasher. Wouldn't those pull-out racks make for neat storage of something? Maybe your watchband collection? Bow ties? Boat shoe drying? The possibilities are endless. Please report back.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Shirts in the pantry... drip-drying from the chandelier... this is what you people up east would probably call Yankee ingenuity. In the south we would call it slightly daff. Nevertheless, the thought has occured to me that you ought to be able to come up with something clever to do with the dishwasher. Wouldn't those pull-out racks make for neat storage of something? Maybe your watchband collection? Bow ties? Boat shoe drying? The possibilities are endless. Please report back.

I could steam-clean my shorts, maybe.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Patrick, I'm sorry I didn't see your question.

Anyway, whenever I bake any meat, I use tin foil, also known as "the Lazy Bachelor's Friend."

Instead of having to scour a pan, you simply throw away the tin foil and give the pan an easy washing if needed.

When doing fish, I spray the tin foil with Pam (or another similar substance) to avoid sticking. If I do not coat the fish with bread crumbs (salmon for instance), I totally wrap the fish with the tin foil. This keeps it from drying out. I then stick the fish on a cooking sheet or whatever is available and put it in the oven.

If I cover the top of the fish with bread crumbs, I spray Pam on the tin foil, lay it on the cookie sheet and set the fish on top of it. I do not cover the top of the fish with tin foil if I'm using bread crumbs.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange