Baracuta - Navy or Khaki?

n/a

I'm on the verge of picking up a harrington baracuta, probably from O'Connell's. Any thought on which color would be best? I was thinking that navy would be better, since I almost always wear khakis. But I really like how the khakis looks, it somehow seems classier. I'm torn...

JD

Brownshoe

Both great, but I do tend to shy away from khaki jackets, as I am in khaki trousers 99% of the time in which I would need such a jacket, and want to avoid the Wall of Beige effect.

tsherry

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I got the navy for just that reason; I'm mostly in khakis when I wear that jacket. Looks great and blocks the wind. Good from now til Nov. (in PA).
I admit, however, that I've toyed with the idea of getting the khaki to wear with jeans.

gator

I say go with the navy as well, I'm wearing one today in fact. If you're like most people on this board you probably wear a good deal of khaki colored trousers, and wearing a khaki jacket in combination would probably give too much of a UPS deliveryman appearance. Just my $.02

fishertw

Elite Member
My Navy one came in the mail yesterday from O'Connells. I had the same concerns about too much khaki. Maybe we should form a team:D
Tom

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Gee, you people are keeping Ethan and John busy. Anyway, depending on what neighbourhood you find yourself walking through, and depending on how short your haircut is, the navy G9 could look a bit too 'skinhead'...

Tom Bell-Drier

to be fair you would probably only look skinhead if you paired the jacket up with 8 hole doc martin boots and drainpipe jeans.
I`m with the majority - go Blue.

Intrepid

A contrarian view from a recent O'connells purchase. They also have a British Tan that works for me. Dark enough that it doesn't seem to look too blah with Bills regular khaki color.

Navy looks great, except when covered with golder retriever hair.

Carpe Diem

longwing

I got the navy myself from O'Connels a few weeks ago. It is great. It's not really navy though. A bit lighter. I may someday pick up a khaki for jeans and gray trousers. We really could form a team. Recall that this same jacket was about $350 in last years Press summer catalog. Glad I waited.

n/a

quote:Originally posted by LongWing

I got the navy myself from O'Connels a few weeks ago. It is great. It's not really navy though. A bit lighter...

LongWing,

How light is it exactly?

JD

longwing

quote:Originally posted by JDGagnonJr

LongWing,

How light is it exactly?

JD

Exactly is tough to say. Blueberry? Not real light, just light enough that I don't think it looks right with mid gray trousers. Maybe someone else can be more specific.

ROI

No votes for red?

From the standpoint of tradition-for-the-sake-of-tradition, the lighter tan is the right color. If you already had the tan, would you consider buying navy chinos to contrast with it? No. Khaki is the right color for khakis. Tan is the right color for the Baracuta.

The British khaki version does not offend me, though I've noticed that the knit waist and wrist bands do not match the British khaki, arousing suspicion of a reversible jacket.

While the unfortunate aspect of a uniform haunts the tan-jacket-with-khaki-pants combination, that is not nearly as unfortunate as the association conjured by the blue jacket for those of us old enough to remember full-service gas stations.

"The whole thing is performance and prowess and feats of association. Why don't critics talk about those things - what a feat it was to turn that that way, and what a feat it was to remember that, to be reminded of that by this? Scoring. You've got to score." Robert Frost

ROI

I just dug an old Four Climes baracuta out of the closet. Two notes: It is sized by chest size and is a LONG. The tartan plaid lining is woven of RAYON.

stuman

How do these jackets run in terms of size? If I want to wear a sweater underneath should I go for the next size up? Thanks

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange