Baracuta - Navy or Khaki?

stuman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm with Geojohn. Where can you buy the dark navy in the US. Also, if you want to wear a sweater underneath, should you get one size larger?

Intrepid

quote:Originally posted by stuman

How do these jackets run in terms of size? If I want to wear a sweater underneath should I go for the next size up? Thanks
Stuman, here is an answer that probably won't help much. When I ordered mine form O'connells, Bernie said to go one size up to accomodate a sweater. An error was made in the shipping dept, and they sent the size down, that I would have gotten, left to my own devices.

The size that I actually got (36) vs the recommended 38 fits perfectly. Go figure.....

Carpe Diem

Untilted

Honors Member
I got the navy myself from O'Connels a few weeks ago. It is great. It's not really navy though. A bit lighter. I may someday pick up a khaki for jeans and gray trousers. We really could form a team. Recall that this same jacket was about $350 in last years Press summer catalog. Glad I waited.

baracuta is a summer jacket?? or all year long?

jrandyv

For a different thought. I bought a green ventile one several years ago from Normandy and Monroe and really like the look. (The fact George H.W. Bush and I both have a N + M coat is probably one of the few things we have in common) Also I'm sure that the fact that the color matches that of my alma mater the U of Oregon is truly coincidental)

dpihl

Afrrrrrt

Used to own a Navy Blue four climes G9 with fraser tartan lining, and the zipper on the wrong side (British style). Loved it to death, and now I think it is dead somehwere.

Used to own a red wool jacket from Nautica in the same basic cut. It was blousey, and had a rayon satin quilted lining. Warm enough to snowski in. I know, because I used it for that very purpose on a few occasions. It also had khaki twill elbow patches for enhanced durability. Grew out of it, and now my wife wears it. Wish I had a dozen more just like it.

Presently own a khaki tan baracuta lookalike, and also a red one with a LaCoste crocodile on the chest, both with a cotton (or cotton-like) tartan (or tartan-like) lining. Rarely wear either jacket.

Want to someday convince the guys in my a cappella quartet to start singing secular tunes, and rename ourselves "The Windbreakers". The right jacket would have to be a key part of the uniform, or the joke just doesn't work.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
How is this for a confusing answer...for the reasons stated by so many other posters, I would recommend the navy. I too wear khaki trousers a lot, probably too much, and wearing khaki on khaki creates the appearance that one is trying hard to create the look of a uniform. The navy breaks that up a bit. Having said that, my jacket is the khaki color. So I end up wearing a sweater or one of my other jackets to avoid the illusion of wearing a uniform.

Spooter

LongWing,

How light is it exactly?

JD

There is a "navy" and a "dark navy", so that might be part of the confusion, earlier in this thread.

I like the light blue -- "sky" it's called -- though how practical it is, I don't know. Would probably be nice for the golf course. And it was a popular color in old films.

longwing

baracuta is a summer jacket?? or all year long?

I wore mine in the spring. None in summer. Surely in fall. I doubt winter, but we do have some very mild days in Jan and Feb.

Ben Silver offers a G-9 in wool. Expensive, but just the think for the die-hard Steve.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I am considering the tan baracuta. I wear jeans most of the time. I have had many tan jackets over the years. Works for me.
It is wise to take into account the pants you will be wearing. A tan Baracuta and khakis looks weird to me. Back in the '60s London Fog had a similar jacket they offered in buttery yellow. It was an amazingly versatile color but seems to have vanished.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange