Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
At my barber shop, there are always two regular barbers on duty. One always does a fantastic job and the other does an OK job. Both barbers are personable and friendly, and so it's really tough to tell one that I'd prefer to wait for the other. And so, I don't. Whoever's chair is open, I sit down and get my haircut.

Do you guys wait for a favorite/better barber? And what's the etiquette around that so that the other barber doesn't feel slighted? I've always gone to barber shops and have always filled the next open chair. My opinion on the matter is that unless the barber is a butcher, you should take the open chair and not make waves, but I've seen other guys wait. Is there a set of unwritten rules?

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
Taper sides and back.

No sideburns.

Any barber school student should be able to do this so I just go with next available.

Some guys can be awfully fussy though!!

Howard

Connoisseur
I always have this barber I've gone to for almost a decade,he cuts my hair pretty good and does a nice neat job. Plus his prices are standard $11 for a haircut.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
There is also the etiquette of the shop to consider as well.

The last shop I went to started viewing al Jazeera on the TV.

This latest one was wathching Ellen.

What happened to ESPN??

It's a freaking Barber Shop!!

hockeyinsider

Advanced Member
There is also the etiquette of the shop to consider as well.

The last shop I went to started viewing al Jazeera on the TV.

This latest one was wathching Ellen.

What happened to ESPN??

It's a freaking Barber Shop!!
I have walked out of barber shops when the barbers or customers used profane language or told dirty jokes. One barber shop lost my business when the barber told a waiting customer that there was a pile of "skin magazines" over there.

TheGreatTwizz

Advanced Member
If you have a preferred barber, who always does the best job, you are perfectly within your means and rights to wait for him. When he offers up the chair, just say 'I'm waiting for Bob' (hopefully his name is Bob).

AncientMadder

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
At my barber shop, there are always two regular barbers on duty. One always does a fantastic job and the other does an OK job. Both barbers are personable and friendly, and so it's really tough to tell one that I'd prefer to wait for the other. And so, I don't. Whoever's chair is open, I sit down and get my haircut.

Do you guys wait for a favorite/better barber? And what's the etiquette around that so that the other barber doesn't feel slighted? I've always gone to barber shops and have always filled the next open chair. My opinion on the matter is that unless the barber is a butcher, you should take the open chair and not make waves, but I've seen other guys wait. Is there a set of unwritten rules?
I would simply call, ask to speak to your preferred barber, then make an appointment with him. Then when you arrive at the shop, your guy will call your name, or you can simply say, "Hi, I have an appointment with X." Awkwardness avoided

Starch

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say you're waiting for the other guy. Making an appointment is the best course, if it's a shop that makes appointments.

Of course, if there are two barbers and you don't know which one you want, wait for the one with the worst haircut.

Last edited:

Howard

Connoisseur
I have walked out of barber shops when the barbers or customers used profane language or told dirty jokes. One barber shop lost my business when the barber told a waiting customer that there was a pile of "skin magazines" over there.
Barber Shops are supposed to be family-oriented shops. What are they doing with nudie magazines?

Howard

Connoisseur
My Barber Shop is a walk-in place, I like the way they do "short in the front and back" since I have hardly any hair,it doesn't take them long to do it, about 10-15 minutes and that's it.

Bucksfan

The first Playboy magazine I ever saw was in the barbershop my dad went to - I was about 5 or 6. There was also a lot of profanity used in that shop, if I remember correctly (and a huge painting of Kenny Rogers).

That said, I think times have changed and I haven't seen nudie mags in a barbershop in about 25 years. My current barber shop is a walk-in place, with between 1 and 4 guys working at any given time. I have a favorite, but 3 out of the 4 do a decent job. I have no qualms waiting for my preferred guy - I am the customer, after all.

Of course, I am nearing the point where my instructions will be "#2 all over" so I may get less picky about the barber.

blue suede shoes

I used to take the next chair that became available when my turn came, but now I wait for the barber that regularly cuts my hair, or one that I made an appointment with beforehand. I do this because many years ago, when I was waiting for my regular barber (the shop owner), he told me to try a new barber in the next chair who just got out of barber school. I didn't know I had gotten a bad haircut until a collegue in my office told me it was a bad haircut. When a businessman walks up to a co-worker and out of the clear blue says you got a bad haircut--you got a bad haircut!!

CAG

I didn't know I had gotten a bad haircut until a collegue in my office told me it was a bad haircut. When a businessman walks up to a co-worker and out of the clear blue says you got a bad haircut--you got a bad haircut!!
That must have been bad. I've seen men get 5 inches taken off without so much as a glance from most of the others in the office.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.