Big T

I'll be closing in on 50 in just a few years and as I age I have less hair to cut which is easy on my barber for he has less hair to snip.
....and as you close in on 50, there are far fewer twenty-something females of the species that have a sincere interest in you! When you hit 67, sometimes SWMBO doesn't even have a sincere interest (after 40 plus years of marriage, she's really earned that!).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
....and as you close in on 50, there are far fewer twenty-something females of the species that have a sincere interest in you! When you hit 67, sometimes SWMBO doesn't even have a sincere interest (after 40 plus years of marriage, she's really earned that!).
:icon_scratch: Everything you say rings true, my friend, but I must ask, how is it that we meet, court and marry our respective Princess Brides and drift off to blissful sleep in our brand new marital bed ....and then wake up next to SWMBO? LOL...is this a David Copperfield trick gone haywire? :crazy:;)

Howard

Connoisseur

You really think they have an interest in me? As far as I'm concerned I don't think I want to date anymore.

Big T

:icon_scratch: Everything you say rings true, my friend, but I must ask, how is it that we meet, court and marry our respective Princess Brides and drift off to blissful sleep in our brand new marital bed ....and then wake up next to SWMBO? LOL...is this a David Copperfield trick gone haywire? :crazy:;)
Princess bride became SWMBO, with those words I uttered ".....obey.....I do....".

All joking aside I have it really great, and my wife is the saint to have put up with me for more than forty years. She was babysitting the grandbabies last night and it was just me and the house beagle: I have a bit of difficulty alone.

eagle2250

Princess bride became SWMBO, with those words I uttered ".....obey.....I do....".

All joking aside I have it really great, and my wife is the saint to have put up with me for more than forty years. She was babysitting the grandbabies last night and it was just me and the house beagle: I have a bit of difficulty alone.
I understand what you are saying. Yesterday (Dec13) was the 47th anniversary of the day I first met and introduced myself to Mrs Eagle. As I do each morning, I looked at her, considering my good fortune and thought Wow...just Wow! ;)

burnedandfrozen

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I also go to an old school barber shop. The original owner retired and sold the business so I took a chance with the new owner whose family owns several barber shops in the area. I was reluctant at first because she looks like a surfer girl who should still be in high school whereas my old barber was an older Italian lady. New barber does a great job. In both cases I go to the same barber. Going to the same person is ideal I think because they get to know your hair well and how it grows out and so on. It's a pretty popular shop so I get up early and get their a half hour before they open so I can get in and out. The other barber in the shop will sometimes sit and wait while up to three other patrons will wait for Baily, the new barber. I pay $25 plus $5 tip. This is Los Angeles so that's probably about average for a barber shop. Salons that advertise their prices out front I've seen mens cuts going for $50 and up.

As for women, well, I'm also about to turn 50 next year. Never married, no children. I would have liked to but what can I say? It just didn't happen and 50 is a bit old to be starting a family. Whatever it is women are looking for in men I obviously don't have so it is what it is. I'm actually told fairly often that I'm good looking and that I look younger than my years so it must be something else.

eagle2250

I also go to an old school barber shop............................................
...............................................................................................................................................

As for women, well, I'm also about to turn 50 next year. Never married, no children. I would have liked to but what can I say? It just didn't happen and 50 is a bit old to be starting a family. Whatever it is women are looking for in men I obviously don't have so it is what it is. I'm actually told fairly often that I'm good looking and that I look younger than my years so it must be something else.
As expressed by Winston Churchill, way back in 1941, "never, never, never give in!" Dating is a contact sport and it is indeed one in which "to the victor go the spoils. I've a few decades on you, but I learned way back when I was a teenager, she couldn't say yes (or no) if I didn't first ask her out. Surprisingly, a rather shocking number of them said Ok...and the game was on. Unlike some of the other sports we may engage in in life, in the game of love, a good offense (and not a good defense) is the key to victory. A point to note: my wife's brother first married when he was 54 and at this point he has been married 8+ years

PS: the reason you may look so young is probably because there is not a SWMBO at home taking bites out of your....:icon_scratch:, on a regular basis. Jeez Louise, I hope Mrs Eagle doesn't read this part of the post. LOL. ;)

IT_cyclist

Well when the relationship starts with years of "As you wish", could you expect any other result?

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I also go to an old school barber shop. The original owner retired and sold the business so I took a chance with the new owner whose family owns several barber shops in the area. I was reluctant at first because she looks like a surfer girl who should still be in high school whereas my old barber was an older Italian lady. New barber does a great job. In both cases I go to the same barber. Going to the same person is ideal I think because they get to know your hair well and how it grows out and so on. It's a pretty popular shop so I get up early and get their a half hour before they open so I can get in and out. The other barber in the shop will sometimes sit and wait while up to three other patrons will wait for Baily, the new barber. I pay $25 plus $5 tip. This is Los Angeles so that's probably about average for a barber shop. Salons that advertise their prices out front I've seen mens cuts going for $50 and up.

The pond is fully stocked with women your age group have been “caught and released”. Just be mindful of the wagon train of baggage that arrives with most of them.

Good luck and don’t forget your helmet.

Cheers,

BSR

FiscalDean

50 is the new 30. When my parents married, my father was 43 and my mother was 18. Dad was 60 when I was born and 66 when my brother was born. They celebrated 50 years of marriage.

burnedandfrozen

Thanks for the replies folks. I dunno, you know that old saying that older men are set in their ways? I think there may be a lot of truth to that. At the age of 49 I'm pretty content with my day to day existence. Finding a woman to date and even get seriously involved with would be such a disruption that the very thought of taking on this whole new set of responsibilities fills me with dread. On the upside not having a significant other allows me a greater % of money to set aside for great shoes! To be honest, a pair of good shoes will most certainly stay with me longer then any woman would.

Big T

Wimmen drive ya crazy! They expect you to not only gut the deer ya just shot, but also skin it! They don't like ya cleaning yur skivvies, socks or hats in the dishwasher, let alone the occassional oil stone. They complain we got constant stink and don't like baked beans or canned peas.

But they sure are fun to belly up to in the middle of the night!

Howard

Connoisseur
Does anyone know when barbers will be back up and running again cause I need a haircut soon and I am not going to attempt to cut my own hair cause of what happened 40 years ago when I was 5 years of age and I chopped off my bangs by accident using a scissor.

SG_67

Connoisseur
Does anyone know when barbers will be back up and running again cause I need a haircut soon and I am not going to attempt to cut my own hair cause of what happened 40 years ago when I was 5 years of age and I chopped off my bangs by accident using a scissor.
well Howard, that’s a good question. I’d say it depends on whether or not you’re the mayor of Chicago.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I'm guessing end of May at the earliest.

My Wahl beard trimmer is starting worry about the way I'm looking at it.

(I have a feeling a lot of barbers are going to be doing salvage operations once conditions improve.)

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.