eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Does anyone know when barbers will be back up and running again cause I need a haircut soon and I am not going to attempt to cut my own hair cause of what happened 40 years ago when I was 5 years of age and I chopped off my bangs by accident using a scissor.
Don't know when my barber will be back in the shop, but SWMBO has offered to take the clippers and give me a styling. Cutting the sides and the back with a #000 guard and the top patch with a #2 or #3 guard doesn't leave too much room for error. If the top gets screwed up, it wouldn't take much to swap out the #3 with the #000 guard and just shave it all off. We can always do it ourselves, if we keep it simple! LOL. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
I'm guessing end of May at the earliest.

My Wahl beard trimmer is starting worry about the way I'm looking at it.

(I have a feeling a lot of barbers are going to be doing salvage operations once conditions improve.)

DH

I hope it's May cause this "temporarily closed" can't go on for a longer period.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
On the specific topic of "barber shop etiquette": my next haircut is (was) scheduled for April 17th. Alas, canceled, of course.

I will buy a gift card (or whatever he has) from my barber that day.

(Finding a good barber is harder than finding a good attorney! You have one, you keep him. Feed the barbers!)

DH

Howard

Connoisseur
On the specific topic of "barber shop etiquette": my next haircut is (was) scheduled for April 17th. Alas, canceled, of course.

I will buy a gift card (or whatever he has) from my barber that day.

(Finding a good barber is harder than finding a good attorney! You have one, you keep him. Feed the barbers!)

DH

Maybe what I'll do next time I see my barber I could ask him for his email address or his cell number for just in case some serious situation comes up again and I can get in contact with him.

eagle2250

I really, really need a haircut and don't have a live-in partner who could drive my clippers. Sigh!
My friend, perhaps this is the time for us to band together and grow our hair to the point we could sport our own man buns. Many women consider that a hot look, but SWMBO just calls it..."looking stupid! LOL. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
When I retired from the Army, I grew a ponytail. It looked pretty "old hippie", given that I was grey and balding. Then came 9/11. I don't know what I was thinking. I was old, disabled and out of shape but . . .
Now? I think I'll go for the Old Tommy Chong look.

Big T

A week or so ago, I was at my daughter's and son-in-law's house (outside), measuring for some cedar trim for their garage. I hadn't shaved for a few days and my remaining hair needed cut a month ago. My SIL suggested we have a beard and hair contest (he is corporate attorney for our 5 hospital local health system). I readily agreed.

Two days ago, SWMBO declared she could not stand my unruly hair, and if I did not shave, I would not enjoy the places she would be sprouting hair. I shaved. As for my hair, as soon as my barber reopens, I will be there.

eagle2250

A week or so ago, I was at my daughter's and son-in-law's house (outside), measuring for some cedar trim for their garage. I hadn't shaved for a few days and my remaining hair needed cut a month ago. My SIL suggested we have a beard and hair contest (he is corporate attorney for our 5 hospital local health system). I readily agreed.

Two days ago, SWMBO declared she could not stand my unruly hair, and if I did not shave, I would not enjoy the places she would be sprouting hair. I shaved. As for my hair, as soon as my barber reopens, I will be there.
Smart man, for sure! Indeed, SWMBO can be persuasive. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
I like my barber but the problem is that once in a while he'll ask me my age or ask where I live or how far do you live from here? There is this other barber his name is Danny who keeps his questions to a minimum, he is quite polite and friendly, I've gone to this barbershop for nearly 20 years.

Howard

Connoisseur
Next time I go to my barber I feel like asking him if he can glue some extra hair on my head to cover up my bald patch or else I might wind up like George Costanza on an episode when he went to a wig place to try and cover up his bald head.

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
At mine, it' mostly soccer and baseball on all the TVs. Lot's of magazines, no Playboy anymore, thought that used to be a barbershop staple

eagle2250

My barbershop has newspapers and some other magazines (no Playboy) and sometimes they have Italian music playing in the background.
The barbershop I frequent, had a fairly good number of periodicals to occupy the attention of waiting customers before the pandemic, but since the shops reopening, the stack of magazines and newspapers is no more! It would be problematic to disinfect the magazines and newspapers between readings. I can live without the reading materials. ;)

eagle2250

In the early days of this, I clipped myself - but I'm using #1 so hard to err. Barbers in NoVa have been open for a couple months now.
Since your shops in NoVA have reopened, how have they amemded their operating procedures. Ours here in central Florida, sanitize the chairs and the capes between customers, they wear masks and gloves and initially require customers to wear masks, they got rid of all the newspapers and magazines, etc. The experience is somewhat less than it was before, but the haircuts are still just the way I like them. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.