G

Guest-389259

The Oconnell's yellow Oxford is one heckuva shirt! That's why I bought two.

They remind me of the old Gant Oxford cloth shirts my dad wore in the early 80's.
These runs a tad slimmer than the venerable "traditional fit " B2 shirts.
F

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Do folks not have even a teeny problem with parting with $165 for a standard-looking dress shirt even if, money-wise, they're floating in it?
Have never had the kind of money that would enable me to consider laying out that kind of money for any shirt. But, even if I did, the fabric would have to be some kind of special for me to wish to do so.

mrm21711

Have never had the kind of money that would enable me to consider laying out that kind of money for any shirt. But, even if I did, the fabric would have to be some kind of special for me to wish to do so.
Might not sway you but these go for 15% off a few times a year

TKI67

Elite Member
Do folks not have even a teeny problem with parting with $165 for a standard-looking dress shirt even if, money-wise, they're floating in it?
That is a great point. Of course if your entire woven shirt wardrobe is four shirts (3 OCBDs and 1-point collar) that will last more or less the rest of your life and they were purchased at sale prices, it is less of an issue than if you had a dozen.

Last edited:

TKI67

Elite Member
The Oconnell's yellow Oxford is one heckuva shirt! That's why I bought two.

They remind me of the old Gant Oxford cloth shirts my dad wore in the early 80's.
These runs a tad slimmer than the venerable "traditional fit " B2 shirts.
F
They remind me of the Gants in the mid-1960s, but those were $6.50 in mid-1960s dollars. The old Gants had the button at the back of the collar, the locker loop at the top of the box pleat, and the stitching around the cuff aligned with the button hole. They lacked the gauntlet button. Otherwise they seemed identical, including the colors.

August West

My Mercer OCBD's (similarly priced) to this point have easily lasted 3 times longer than the old Brooks Brothers ones that could be had for around $60 on sale. In fact I've yet to retire a Mercer from work rotation, and several of them are approaching 10 years of fairly regular wear. Based on my personal experience, the math checks out and I'm wearing a far superior quality shirt.

mrm21711

They remind me of the Gants in the mid-1960s, but those were $6.50 in mid-1960s dollars. The old Gants had the button at the back of the collar, the locker loop at the top of the box pleat, and the stitching around the cuff aligned with the button hole. They lacked the gauntlet button. Otherwise they seemed identical, including the colors.
I recall an analysis somewhere (I think on this forum) where someone factored in inflation and depreciation of the dollar and today’s prices like that were comparable to the same purchasing power of these made in USA shirts in the 50s and 60s

delicious_scent

People definitely have a problem with it.

Despite how much people post about O'Connell's, rarely do I see anyone posting about actually buying from them. Mainly reminiscing and posting about heritage.

The average person doesn't care to pay the price premium for MiUSA anymore.

You can order an MTM shirt and have it on your doorstep within 2 weeks, likely with better quality and quality control than a MiUSA shirt. Made in Vietnam.

I bought an OCBD from Ratio Clothing last year, when it was still MiUSA(Garland Factory?). The finishing was sloppy as hell in term of interior stitching.

My remake shirt seemed awfully better finished and cleaner looking overall. I looked at the tag, and it was made in....Vietnam!

The MiUSA items I can think of that still provide value, relative to other parts of the world, are denim and quality shoes. Vintage is another great option as well if you have the time for it.

delicious_scent

I recall an analysis somewhere (I think on this forum) where someone factored in inflation and depreciation of the dollar and today’s prices like that were comparable to the same purchasing power of these made in USA shirts in the 50s and 60s

Using that, entering in 1965 and 2021.

$6.50 in 1965 would be $54.27 in 2021.

TKI67

Elite Member
People definitely have a problem with it.

Despite how much people post about O'Connell's, rarely do I see anyone posting about actually buying from them. Mainly reminiscing and posting about heritage.

The average person doesn't care to pay the price premium for MiUSA anymore.

You can order an MTM shirt and have it on your doorstep within 2 weeks, likely with better quality and quality control than a MiUSA shirt. Made in Vietnam.

I bought an OCBD from Ratio Clothing last year, when it was still MiUSA(Garland Factory?). The finishing was sloppy as hell in term of interior stitching.

My remake shirt seemed awfully better finished and cleaner looking overall. I looked at the tag, and it was made in....Vietnam!

The MiUSA items I can think of that still provide value, relative to other parts of the world, are denim and quality shoes. Vintage is another great option as well if you have the time for it.
You are right about several things. Most people will not pay the premium for MiUSA. Many extremely high quality goods are made elsewhere, including China and various countries in the far east. For example the Orvis Ultimate Khakis are finished beautifully. I have purchased much of my very small wardrobe from O'Connell's. The quality of the things I have bought from them has been superior. I find it sad that people would rather have lower cost goods in greater quantity, but such is the reality.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
You are right about several things. Most people will not pay the premium for MiUSA. Many extremely high quality goods are made elsewhere, including China and various countries in the far east. For example the Orvis Ultimate Khakis are finished beautifully. I have purchased much of my very small wardrobe from O'Connell's. The quality of the things I have bought from them has been superior. I find it sad that people would rather have lower cost goods in greater quantity, but such is the reality.
Over time, I too have made numerous purchases from O'Connell's; five suits, at least six sport coats and blazers, several OCBD's and other shirts and two of the three Baracuta Jackets that hang in my closet. I have always been more than satisfied with my purchases from them. ;)

August West

Over time, I too have made numerous purchases from O'Connell's; five suits, at least six sport coats and blazers, several OCBD's and other shirts and two of the three Baracuta Jackets that hang in my closet. I have always been more than satisfied with my purchases from them. ;)
As to the earlier post about no one buying from O'Connells, I just counted 35 email purchase confirmations from them going back to 2013. Just about all of those were more than one item. I am comfortable sharing that here, (I would not offer that information to my wife unsolicted) ;)

I always look to them first. miUSA is important to me, but more important to me is the fit, cut and style of what O'Connell's offers, and the quality of their offerings. Merchants like them are few and far between and I will continue to support them whenever I can.

TKI67

Elite Member
As to the earlier post about no one buying from O'Connells, I just counted 35 email purchase confirmations from them going back to 2013. Just about all of those were more than one item. I am comfortable sharing that here, (I would not offer that information to my wife unsolicted) ;)

I always look to them first. miUSA is important to me, but more important to me is the fit, cut and style of what O'Connell's offers, and the quality of their offerings. Merchants like them are few and far between and I will continue to support them whenever I can.
I share your view, and I believe that on a per wear cost many MiUSA high dollar items compete very well if you can front the outlay. OCBDs and khakis that last ten or more years and LHS that give you thirty plus are hard to find. O'Connell's has them. Of course that requires that you be the sort of person who is happy wearing the same things year after year.

drpeter

One of the great things about being older and retired (say, 65 and beyond -- I am 70) is that once you stock up well on certain heavily-used items like khakis, grey flannels, polo shirts and OCBDs, you won't need to buy more. If I live to be 100, I will definitely not need another pair of khakis or grey flannels. The same is true for OCBDs and polo shirts, and a number of other items. I will wear out T shirts, but those are cheaply replaced. I also have dozens of pairs of high-quality shoes, which again, I will never wear out. The more clothes you rotate, the less wear you see on each.

What I do need to buy: Birkenstocks! I just bought another pair of their sandals this week, at a shop in a nearby town where the owner was having a "going into retirement" sale. He was my age, a charming fellow, and knew some of my university colleagues personally, so we had a nice chat and a great deal on the sandals. Now I have two pairs in reserve, in addition to the one that I am currently wearing. I wear them all the time from early spring to late fall.

I also have some pants from the time when I weighed a bit more and my waist went to a relaxed 36-37. I have trousers from that time period, which I will keep on hand in case my waistline expands again -- unlikely, since maintaining my present diet is medically important for managing my Type 2 diabetes. But the idea is that if you have a small range of sizes in clothing and retain some of those, you are not likely to need anything more.

I will still buy nice items because I like them, especially at thrift shop prices. Hunting for good clothes at great prices, made in the US, is an enjoyable pastime. I have far more sportcoats and suits than I will ever need to have, but it is fun to have them and wear them on an occasional basis. And from time to time, it is also good to purge, and hope that someone else enjoys them -- as I am doing right now.

And I do not have to justify my purchase to anyone -- I am single, LOL.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange