Langham

Honors Member
Thank you Repington.

I had an office in Holland Park at one time, and was in the habit of spending my lunch hour in the souk off Notting Hill Gate, where I once saw some spats for sale in a window amidst a pile of starched wing collars and ancient Sam Brown belts. The only time I have ever seen a pair, in fact - they have gone the way of the dodo.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Thank you Repington.

I had an office in Holland Park at one time, and was in the habit of spending my lunch hour in the souk off Notting Hill Gate, where I once saw some spats for sale in a window amidst a pile of starched wing collars and ancient Sam Brown belts. The only time I have ever seen a pair, in fact - they have gone the way of the dodo.
In the city, I agree with you. However, in the African bush spats (or leggings) are really useful. When you're hunting in shorts because of the heat they keep the sticks and briars out of you socks. I have a pair I've worn in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Handy things.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
In the city, I agree with you. However, in the African bush spats (or leggings) are really useful. When you're hunting in shorts because of the heat they keep the sticks and briars out of you socks. I have a pair I've worn in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Handy things.
Are they actually called "spats" these days? I have always thought of "spats" (properly) as strictly a dress garment. In the bush they become "leggings" (as you say) or "gaiters." I seem to recall we had a thread discussing snake gaiters in this forum some years back.

Langham

Honors Member
I have some leggings, or gaiters, myself. Spats were their effete, rather unnecessary, metropolitan cousins.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
I'd always assumed spats had a utilitarian purpose: keep the crud from a Victorian city street out of your shoes. Never heard that "no spats in the afternoon" rule. Mayhap gentlemen of the better classes carriage-pooled to their clubs after a hard day of counting dividends.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^LOL...
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it! Sounds like something an ill tempered retiree could do. How much would it pay? Papa always wants that seemingly never ending stream of a new pair of shoes! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.