Besse-Clarke Pittsfield

drpeter

The other day, I picked up a lovely four-in-hand necktie from a local thrift shop and was intrigued by the label it carried. It was simple, yet elegant, and it said Besse-Clarke Pittsfield. I was curious about the label since Pittsville, Pittsford, and other similar names were familiar to me from the time I lived in upstate New York (Rochester) and also here in Wisconsin, as names of small towns or suburbs. So I did a bit of research and discovered that Besse-Clark was an upmarket men's clothing store on North Street, Pittsfield, Mass., from 1910 to 1994. In 2014, the building was bought by a local couple, the Tierneys, and turned into a boutique hotel called Hotel on North. I have not been able to find out much about the department store itself. Any information about this shop would be very welcome. This is a description of the hotel:

A little more about the shop:

Happy New Year to all!

Dr Peter

Last edited:
G

Guest-487237

Hello,

I worked at BC for a few years in the mid-80s part-time in the ski shop while in college.

The main floor was a nice men's clothing store. The second floor was a really nice sporting goods shop including skis, tennis, running shoes, etc. The third floor was storage.

There was also a children's shop in the basement. Jim Clarke, son of Stanley, ran it at that time. Stanley would come in occasionally. Jim's sister ran the children's shop, and her son, Eric, worked with me in the ski shop.

It was a fun place to work. I still wear a madras tie I bought there. I don't remember many names, but the tailor was a Holocaust survivor. I remember he had the tattoo on his arm. My mother still lives up that way and I drive through Pittsfield on my way to visit her.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

drpeter

Hello,

I worked at BC for a few years in the mid-80s part-time in the ski shop while in college.

The main floor was a nice men's clothing store. The second floor was a really nice sporting goods shop including skis, tennis, running shoes, etc. The third floor was storage.

There was also a children's shop in the basement. Jim Clarke, son of Stanley, ran it at that time. Stanley would come in occasionally. Jim's sister ran the children's shop, and her son, Eric, worked with me in the ski shop.

It was a fun place to work. I still wear a madras tie I bought there. I don't remember many names, but the tailor was a Holocaust survivor. I remember he had the tattoo on his arm. My mother still lives up that way and I drive through Pittsfield on my way to visit her.

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much indeed for this information. It is nice to know that the shop was known to at least some who read this forum.

G

Guest-436425

I remember it very vividly as a young woman - there was even a killer radio jingle - “Besse Clarke has got it…Besse’s got it all!”

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange