Fancia

Starting Member
I've worn AE Wilbert's, 511 last, C-width shoes with khakis for many years. For me, the company and the quality are in steady decline.

I've also worn Alden PTB AWW's and Welterweight, Barrie last, and moc-split-toe, Hampton and Leydon last, shoes with khakis for many years. For me, the shoes are over engineered for what I need and at $175 per factory resole are losing the argument about the long-term value of investing in shoes that can be recrafted versus those that are only disposal after a season or two.

So my question is what other traditionally styled, genuine leather, recraftable $200-$400 shoe brands offer C width quality shoes for casual wear?

frankmartin

What I would do (which honestly does not follow your criteria):

I'd buy leather soled Alden shoes and then have sole protectors installed. You then have heel top lifts and the sole protectors replaced. Have heel taps installed too if you like those, but I'd rather periodically have my local cobbler replace those as needed.

This way, these would never need a $175 resole, just inexpensive sole protectors/top lifts/heel taps replaced.

For C widths, you'll either have to order stuff out of the Alden stock catalog or order a (possibly 100% pre-paid) specific size from some of the retailers which have their own Alden make up shoes.

I would avoid the oiled leather soles (waterlock or flex welt?) as some cobblers seem to have trouble getting sole protectors to stick to those. some don't, so your mileage may vary.

Alternatively, I would buy rubber soled Aldens which do not have rubber parts stitched through. None of those "commando" half soles or crepe "all weather walker" things. What you would be looking for is something with a leather midsole which has a rubber sole bonded to the midsole, but not sewn. A decent cobbler can replace those by removing the worn rubber sole and replacing it with a vibram full sole replacement. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure of this) examples of this construction would be the 9 4 3 2 S B r o w n A n i l i n e P u l l - U p with lug rubber outsoles or the 404 Dark Brown Kudu Trubalance Last with Vibram lug outsoles.

I did see somewhere where the heels and leather tips could be replaced on crepe sole aldens without a full resole, but I don't recall where.

frankmartin

I did see somewhere where the heels and leather tips could be replaced on crepe sole aldens without a full resole, but I don't recall where.

reddit said:
I have Alden All weather Walkers with crepe soles & heels. I've had the heels changed twice. My cobbler is around the corner from the San Francisco Alden shop and orders replacement heels from them. I'm happy with their durability and comfort.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
If it were not for my continuing concerns over what others might think, every pair of shoes in my closet would be fitted with Alden's Plantation Crepe Soles( and trust me, that's a lot of pairs of shoes.)...they are that comfortable to walk in! The occasional need to replce heels and/or to resole the All Weather Walkers is an insignificant inconvenience and a small price to pay for the heavenly comfort afforded by these wonderful soles! Nuff said. LOL. ;)

andrewdc

Starting Member
$179 for resoling a pair of Alden shoes feels like highway robbery. Find a good local cobbler who works with Horween soles and knows how to do the job right. I go to a small local shoe store that sells Alden, Crockett & Jones, Rancourt among other brands and also does repairs. They have done a fine job resoling two pair of Alden shell cordovans for me at a more reasonable price.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.