Best-dressed TV shows?

bbcrock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I want to piggyback on the best dressed movie thread with something parallel: What are the TV shows that had a style that impressed you the most?

The first show I watched where I said, "Wow" was...

Remington Steele.

A female friend I worked with in high school and I were both mightily impressed by this early-80s mystery-cum-mystery parody.

But in college I became obsessed with the epitome of 1960s TV cool, Gene Barry as Amos Burke in Burke's Law. I heartily recommend anyone here who has never seen Burke's Law before to just google it or check it out on Netflix. He actually played a totally different Clothes Horse, Bat Masterson in the 1950s western of the same name.

Another very cool show for style is Peter Gunn. I rented the series from Netflix and it's absolutely filled with great sets and clothes, particularly in the first episode featuring underworld informant Billy Barty in what looks like a sharkskin suit, naturally hand-tailored for Mr. Barty. Again, if you haven't seen Peter Gunn lately then you owe it to yourself to at least google it. I met the late Billy Barty 20 years ago and he volunteered information about his bespoke suits, but I didn't persue the subject.

another surprising show for fashion, particularly for you trad types is the Waltons. The cut of their dress shirts, even on the farm, were pretty, well, trad. Check out "John Boy" on the left:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EQXPQvxg...wwfbKiHX1g/s1600-R/WaltonsChristmasFront2.jpg

The Sopranos, for me anyway, came out during the downward slope of the mafia trend which peaked with Goodfellas. the Sopranos may have popularized camp shirts for the Wal-Mart set so by that point I thought the show dressed a little corny despite how much I liked it.

Regarding well-dressed comedy shows- I was a huge fan of Letterman's double-breasted suits from Barneys in the 80s, but they were never me. Seinfeld always seemed to be half a parody of NY clothing and Jerry's jeans and button-down shirts were what I wore to the office as an intern in high school. But I know of very few sitcoms that took good style seriously- most reminded me of Everyone Loves Raymond's preponderance of t-shirts under plaid shirts, one of my least favorite styles.

anyone?

Last edited:

Volsgradstudent

Starting Member
I really enjoyed Denny Crane's looks on Boston Legal.

I think all of the characters were well dressed. Even the crossdressing paralegal. :icon_smile_big:

Mannix

Mannix, particularily Joseph Campanella in season one but Mike Connors always dressed nice too.

Get Smart

Green Acres, only Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor though.

Adam-12, McCord and Milner whilst off duty and the civilians that were featured

Dragnet, 60's version especially

I'm at a loss right now, but I'm sure I could add more as I ponder it.

Grayson

1950's...
3200220.jpg

Desi Arnaz as Ricky Ricardo in "I Love Lucy"

1960's...
Steed-Avengers.jpg

Patrick MacNee's John Steed in "The Avengers"

1970's...
missionimpossible-petergraves.jpg

Peter Graves as Jim Phelps in "Mission: Impossible"

1980's...
equalizer_face2.jpg

Edward Woodward as Robert McCall in "The Equalizer"

1990's...
FRASIER.jpg

Kelsy Grammer as Frasier Crane in "Frasier"

2000's...
barneystinson.jpg

Neil Patick Harris' Barney in "How I Met Your Mother"

Last edited:

agnash

Fringe

The clothes worn by by Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles, especially the overcoat and the tie. I noticed he wore a real hat during the last episode we watched. Also, some of the villians wear very nice clothes as well.

As a final note, there is an FBI agent who is there to take a look at the Fringe group, and is considering shutting them down. Just in case his obnoxious behavior isn't enough to let you know he is a boor, they also put him suits and ties that scream mediocrity.

Also Get Smart

Oddly, My Favorite Martian is the first answer that comes to my head.
2845482570_018dfaf970.jpg

Although the Professor and Thurston Howell III on Gilligan's Island are close runners up.

joeyzaza

Get Smart.

Don Hollinger in That Girl. Marlo Thomas as well.

Dragnet

They dressed pretty nice on Gilligan's Island for only having packed for a three hour tour. A three hour tour.

rgrossicone

Elite Member
The Agents on Without A Trace have some dapper attire, but I'm not quite sure I get Anthony Lapaglia's Reservoir Dogs Outfit that he always has on.

Sky Sports Dream Team also has some dapper gents.

psycho1964

1950's...
3200220.jpg

Desi Arnaz as Ricky Ricardo in "I Love Lucy"

1960's...
Steed-Avengers.jpg

Patrick MacNee's John Steed in "The Avengers"

1970's...
missionimpossible-petergraves.jpg

Peter Graves as Jim Phelps in "Mission: Impossible"

1980's...
equalizer_face2.jpg

Edward Woodward as Robert McCall in "The Equalizer"

1990's...
FRASIER.jpg

Kelsy Grammer as Frasier Crane in "Frasier"

2000's...
barneystinson.jpg

Neil Patick Harris' Barney in "How I Met Your Mother"

Grayson,

Love all your picks, dead match for my own.

I might add "The Dick Van Dyke Show" for the 60's and must add "Mad Men" for the present.

bbcrock

Mannix, particularily Joseph Campanella in season one but Mike Connors always dressed nice too.

Get Smart

Green Acres, only Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor though.

Adam-12, McCord and Milner whilst off duty and the civilians that were featured

Dragnet, 60's version especially

I'm at a loss right now, but I'm sure I could add more as I ponder it.

ha, yes, I've been watching Adam-12 every night for the last month so I noticed the clothes a lot (noticed the outdoor background scenes more), but often they're strange and evocative of whatever problems the characters have. I love the "golf jackets" though- whatever their proper name is.

Jack Webb used to do strange things though- he only bought himself and Harry Morgan one suit per season and they wore them in all the scenes.

Mannix

ha, yes, I've been watching Adam-12 every night for the last month so I noticed the clothes a lot (noticed the outdoor background scenes more), but often they're strange and evocative of whatever problems the characters have. I love the "golf jackets" though- whatever their proper name is.

Jack Webb used to do strange things though- he only bought himself and Harry Morgan one suit per season and they wore them in all the scenes.

If you watch very carefully in Adam-12 they use many of the same actors/actresses for all sorts of different roles...kind of funny sometimes. They also reuse a lot of stock clips, especially 5 or so second driving ones. I'm an addict, I can name which season the clips first appeared.

Are you watching Adam-12 on imdb? I was surprised to see that they had seasons 3 & 4 up already. I don't even want to see if Mannix is on imdb because I simply do not have time right now with school. Enough foaming at the fingers....

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur

Jack Webb . . . did you know he was married to Julie London?

Only Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts tops that one for unlikely show-biz marriages (OK, Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie is up there as well in the "WTF?!?!" department).

For best clothes on a TV show I have to go with Rat Patrol. The Germans looked bada$$ as always, and the Allied guys (I believe they were based on the exploits of the long-range desert raiders of Britain's Special Air Service regiment) were pretty durned soigne as well. Particularly the Australian dude. He and his RP mates would destroy entire panzer divisions with only the twin-50s mounted on their jeeps, and barely fog their goggles in the process. Them boys knew how to kick it! Get some!

mvarela

In terms of current shows, how about Tate Donovan's character on Damages.

tage-gallery_392.jpg
https://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2009/01/13/tage-gallery_392.jpg

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Mad Men had some of the best clothing that I've seen recently.

Although that short tie is a bit disconcerting.

The short tie was not all the uncommon back then, although his is a little shorter than most. Don Draper's length seems like it was the standard back then. (I'm not necessarily saying that was a good thing.) It was a lot more common for men to button their suit and sport coats back then, so a lot of times, you could not see how long the tie was anyway.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange