Best-dressed TV shows?

DaveTrader

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but noone mentioned LA Law:

When I was in college, this is how I wanted to dress everyday when I got a job.

And Dancing with the Stars judge Len Goodman is IMO the best dressed man on television currently:

pkhunter

Mad Men seems to be reported in threads of this nature, but it hasn't really left me coveting stuff, except for the occasional suit/tie on that senior guy, Roger Sterling.

My favorite in recent times has been Better Off Ted. Superb costume designer for the lead characters. Even for Veronica Palmer, the female boss.

Most UK shows have significantly better attire than US ones. I quite like the dress sense in UK's Law & Order.

And +1 for Remington Steele!

Last edited:

pkhunter

I had the same feeling for suits in Better Off Ted, and the classic wear in Hercule Poirot (even his nightwear was fantastic!)

Recently, I was marveling at some tailoring in Downton Abbey.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Mad Men seems to be reported in threads of this nature, but it hasn't really left me coveting stuff, except for the occasional suit/tie on that senior guy, Roger Sterling.

My favorite in recent times has been Better Off Ted. Superb costume designer for the lead characters. Even for Veronica Palmer, the female boss.

Most UK shows have significantly better attire than US ones. I quite like the dress sense in UK's Law & Order.

And +1 for Remington Steele!

Mad Men does nothing for me. Everything on Mad Men seems so exaggerated and just gets in the way. Why don't the suits on Mad Men make me think of 60s television mad men Darrin Stephens and Larry Tate? Why do the men who work for McMahon and Tate look so much better (and don't say Liz Montgomery)?

z7k8g.jpg

Even Gale Gordon looked better on The Lucy Show, and he was supposed to be a stingy character.

Of course, the best-dressed television show for me would have to be The Saint. And I love Remington Steele too, though the first two seasons are the only ones that have clothes that don't look dated. The only good clothes in the 3rd season were leftovers from the first two, and by season 4 it was all 80's Italian double-breasted suits that now look silly. At least he almost always wore the clothes tastefully.

As for current television, I'd go with White Collar. Apart from his low-rise trousers, Matt Bomer does a better 60's look than anyone on Mad Men.

Attachments

• bewitched.jpg
    bewitched.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 50

Pliny

The Defenders: I love Jim Belushi's fits (pretty out there but creative) and the other guy's aren't too bad either.
okay ignore his and other guy's cuffs here:

this one below is great

Last edited:

Pliny

Learn from Las Vegas

okay went crazy with the pics but some of Belushi's stuff is
wierdly compelling.

If it's good enough for Robert Venturi:

pkhunter

That slim tie nonsense appeals to the younger set, I suppose. His getup in the first pic above is gorgeous, but it goes swiftly down from there on.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Neal Caffrey in White Collar, hands down for me.

neal-caffrey-style-tug-white-collar-2.jpg

I love the show, but this outfit here is just all mismatched. Low-rise, belted trousers with a waistcoat? And the waistcoat is the same colour as the suit yet doesn't match it. It looks like a mistake. And those lapels are absurd.

Grungydan

Starting Member
Ha, you guys are quick to point out things that I love about it.

I.e. not strict stuffy "rules" following for the sake of itself.

So many members here seem far too caught up in making sure that they aren't wearing their clothes "incorrectly."

I am a bit too broad in the shoulders to pull of the "skinny" tie that's popular right now, but I do tend toward a narrower blade. I'm not eating lobster.

Last edited:

Grayson

How about the fact his pants are so tight his zipper tab is sticking out? I have a hard time believing that's a fashion statement.

Bjorn

Everybody on BBC:s original adaptation of Le Carre (tinker tailor etc)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315322589.067792.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315322589.067792.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315322615.715067.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315322615.715067.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 41

Grungydan

Starting Member
How about the fact his pants are so tight his zipper tab is sticking out? I have a hard time believing that's a fashion statement.

Spending a lot of time staring at his crotch?

White Collar and Suits hands down

Some of the suits Harvey wears are great, but (deliberately, of course) scream "idealized Wall St. lawyer." Too much for me. Mike, well, Mike's aren't always great, but he had one on a couple of eps ago that I liked.

Grayson

^^^ Grungydan, that remark sounds like something that would come out of a homophobic frat boy, and I would think it beneath a grown man. This is a men's fashion forum, and we ALL pay attention to clothing details, be we straight or gay.

tbell ncsu

Starting Member
count another vote for 'white collar' and the barney character in ' how i met your mother'.

i can't believe no one has mentioned 'suits' on the usa network. harvey specter is the best dressed tv lawyer.

gina-torres-as-jessica-rick-hoffman-as-louis-meghan-markle-as-rachel-lane-gabriel-macht-as-harvey-specter-and-patrick-adams-as-mike-ross-on-suits.jpg

suits-harvey-specter-gabriel-macht-2.png

tumblr_lqxggyagr71r1uegko1_500.png

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange