Best-dressed TV shows?

shore living

I chimed in on new shows, on USA, and need to add Jeffery Donavan on Burn Notice. Though living in Palm Beach,can't wear a suit during the day may through oct!

Older shows. George Peppard in Banacek and Roger Moore in The Saint, Bronson in Remington Steele(Bond pre-requisite staring in a stylish TV series?)

Grungydan

Starting Member
^^^ Grungydan, that remark sounds like something that would come out of a homophobic frat boy, and I would think it beneath a grown man. This is a men's fashion forum, and we ALL pay attention to clothing details, be we straight or gay.

Oh, calm yourself. I was merely pointing out that your nitpick was, well, a nitpick. It just seemed as though you were trying awfully hard to dismiss the ensemble for something that was the photographer's mistake (or perhaps the editor that let this shot out instead of the one they took 2 seconds before or after).

Another vote here for Donovan on Burn Notice. I also like the costuming for Dexter on Dexter, also set in Miami, although it's more casual in nature.

Apatheticviews

I love the show, but this outfit here is just all mismatched. Low-rise, belted trousers with a waistcoat? And the waistcoat is the same colour as the suit yet doesn't match it. It looks like a mistake. And those lapels are absurd.

Keep in mind, one of the premises of the show is that Neil "inherited" his collection of suits from his landlord's dead husband.

It is a hodgepodge, and designed to be tad eccentric (and about 40 years out of date).

This isn't a man of means, this is a man making due with available resources. Although the suits are bespoke, they are second hand (and only possibly re-tailored). The only new things in his warddrobe is probably his shoes.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Keep in mind, one of the premises of the show is that Neil "inherited" his collection of suits from his landlord's dead husband.

It is a hodgepodge, and designed to be tad eccentric (and about 40 years out of date).

This isn't a man of means, this is a man making due with available resources. Although the suits are bespoke, they are second hand (and only possibly re-tailored). The only new things in his warddrobe is probably his shoes.

But Neal is supposed to be the same exact size as Byron. The suits don't look like authentic 60s suits either, but more like modern fashion. Rarely do I see costume designers try to make the clothes look authentic in this type of situation.

Apatheticviews

But Neal is supposed to be the same exact size as Byron. The suits don't look like authentic 60s suits either, but more like modern fashion. Rarely do I see costume designers try to make the clothes look authentic in this type of situation.

I got the impression of a more "stylized" feel, from the offscreen character Byron. For whatever reason, I've always gotten a Rat Pack vibe, and imagined him as Sammy Davis Jr. That said, I could definitely see SDJ wearing Neil's outfits.

Maybe not so much 60~s, but maybe some of the oddities (and transitions) of 70's as well.

Last edited:

Jovan

Honors Member
1.5" lapels, a waistcoat with wider stripes than the suit, and super low rise trousers are not representative of any time period or transition into another. It's a modern designer's exaggerated/misguided idea of the '60s. Even the mods didn't dress like that.

kajoybe

Starting Member
"Jeeves and Wooster"! I especially love that brown Harris Tweed suit that Jeeves manipulated Wooster into wearing in the first episode.

tbell ncsu

Starting Member
I chimed in on new shows, on USA, and need to add Jeffery Donavan on Burn Notice. Though living in Palm Beach,can't wear a suit during the day may through oct!
my bad, shore living. i had only skimmed through the thread.i don't normally watch burn notice, but they do have some nice threads judging from the small sample i've observed. then how could a show set in miami not be fashionable?

Jovan

Honors Member
Because real life Miami isn't all that well dressed, despite what Miami Vice and Burn Notice want you to believe!

Grayson

^^^ The gentlemen above at respectively Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell, and in they look like they just left a summer production of "Guys & Dolls".

Neil Patrick Harris Barney Stinson is a different, and MUCH better dressed, character who appeared early in this thread.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Personally, I think the character "Michael Scott" on The Office dresses pretty well. Even though he is kind of a weirdo.

Also the character "Oscar".

Anyone agree or disagree with this?

Howard

Connoisseur
speaking of well dressed tv-shows does anyone remember when on Seinfeld that Kenny Bania gave Jerry an Armani suit? How much does an Armani suit cost?

TheoProf

Personally, I think the character "Michael Scott" on The Office dresses pretty well. Even though he is kind of a weirdo.

Also the character "Oscar".

Anyone agree or disagree with this?

Although, Michael loves Burlington Coat Factory and once accidentally bought a woman's suit and wore it to work.

crocto

Let's be honest it's Law & Order. Jack McCoy crushed the Brooks Brothers catalog cover to cover.

jackmccoy.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange