Snow Hill Pond

Elite Member
Interesting article. The range of options is a little unsettling and in some cases IMO stylistically absurd. That is, I cannot imagine ever willingly buying and wearing the Ecco Atlanta Plain Toe Blucher in black (or any other color). It just seems so wrong.

Does anyone have an opinion on her 1st choice for rain footwear: a pair of $700 cordovan leather-soled boots? Beautiful boots, but they definitely raise the bar a bit for rainy day shoes.

Public Savant

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Leather soles in the rain seems silly to me. I've done it out of necessity, but I would never designate a leather soled shoe as my rain shoe.
And dangerous.
It's been kown to rain a lot here but I often go out in leather soled shoes. On some smooth surfaces I've almost slipped and hurt myself while wearing leather soled shoes. I've had the sole's of other shoes and boots covered with a slip resistant rubber coating which seems to work though. If the rain is really bad it also prevents the water from soaking through the soles.
Galoshes can be a good alternative especially when it comes to covering a really good pair of shoes tag aren't waterproof but let's be honest they do look dorky and are really only good for short periods.

tigerpac

Absolutely, shell is very water resistant. Wore some out in the rain today, can't even tell they got wet. Sometimes you'll get some water welts that just need a little horsehair brushing to get out, but that's the worst you'll ever see with cordovan!

partyof6

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Leather soles in the rain seems silly to me. I've done it out of necessity, but I would never designate a leather soled shoe as my rain shoe.
Agree. Leather sole and water is a very bad combo. Better to go with something like Dainite.

Exception may be a "waterlock" leather sole like this Alden PTB in natural CXL. I have the same sole on an unlined cordovan PTB and it holds up nicely on wet ground.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Absolutely, shell is very water resistant. Wore some out in the rain today, can't even tell they got wet. Sometimes you'll get some water welts that just need a little horsehair brushing to get out, but that's the worst you'll ever see with cordovan!
In terms of practical application shell is indeed very water resistant and a better choice than calf for keeping your feet dry in a downpour.

Aesthetics are a different story. Where evidence of rainwear can quickly disappear with smooth calf or suede, shell can not only display unattractive welts, but also waxy water spots. And it doesn't take a "little " brushing to get rid of them - it takes quite a lot. In one case, it took two applications of Saphir Cordovan cream To get the spots out of my navy shell Carminas.

So if job one is dry feet, shell rules. But if aesthetics matter, and you'd rather not spend the day wearing spotty, bumpy footwear, it can be a less than ideal foul-weather choice.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange