Dr.Watson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
More of a countrywear question, but thought I’d start here. I just want something to knock around in, use in the jon boat, get mail in the rain, etc. Are the Barbour ones any good or are you just paying for the name? They seem reasonably priced.

I honesty used to have some cheap wellington boots, from Walmart of all places, that were great for these humble purposes, but that was like 15 years ago. Who knows what Walmart wellies are like now.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
At one point, recently, Costco was selling rubber wellington boots. I don't know if they are still selling them, but it might be worth a look. Given your planned uses for the boots, I would also give the present day Walmart offering further consideration. Just a thought. Good luck in the hunt! ;)

challer

Best? La Chameau Chasseur. I have both leather lined and neoprene lined. Note that you can pick the opening of the top of the boot for best fit. But also by far the most expensive. A much more affordable and very durable/comfortable best are Grundens Deck-Boss - from ankle high to boots. Not that well know outside of water people, they are just as awesome in an urban setting or the the garden or the duck blind. My SO loves them.

https://grundens.com/product-category/footwear/

Corcovado

I have no opinion on which ones are "best" but I have two pairs that are both fine for my needs. One is a cheap pair from WalMart (IIRC) that I keep around specifically to deal with the occasional wet basement. The other is a pair from Brooks Brothers which I don't even see on their website anymore. I will add that the BB pair was substantially large with respect to size. I ordered a 10, which is what I wear in most brands such as LL Bean shoes. The BB boots felt a full size larger. With a pair of LL Bean shearling insoles, however, they fit just right.

I have gotten far more use out of the cheap pair.

eagle2250

I have no opinion on which ones are "best" but I have two pairs that are both fine for my needs. One is a cheap pair from WalMart (IIRC) that I keep around specifically to deal with the occasional wet basement. The other is a pair from Brooks Brothers which I don't even see on their website anymore. I will add that the BB pair was substantially large with respect to size. I ordered a 10, which is what I wear in most brands such as LL Bean shoes. The BB boots felt a full size larger. With a pair of LL Bean shearling insoles, however, they fit just right.

I have gotten far more use out of the cheap pair.
On a cold day, shearling insoles would make a pair of muck boots much more appealing! ;)

Flairball

I have a couple pair; Hunter neoprene lined Balmorals, and LaCrosse Alpha Burly. I live in the outdoors year round, shooting and working my gun dogs. When my LaCrosse boots wear out I shall replace them. When my Hunters wear out they will be the last pair of Hunter boots to cross my threshold.

For all the hype and pressure that goes along with having the right wellie, I will tell you this, none of them are comfortable. Spend a day in wellies following a spaniel at a field trial and you’ll not want to put them on again for a long time. And truthfully, they’re just rubber boots, no matter what the brand and what they are lined with. If you just want them for utility, get cheap boots. If you want them to convey some kind of outdoorsy/ countryside status, just spend your money on whatever. If you want a good, comfortable, rugged, do all boot, get a good pair of lace up boots.

eagle2250

I have a couple pair; Hunter neoprene lined Balmorals, and LaCrosse Alpha Burly. I live in the outdoors year round, shooting and working my gun dogs. When my LaCrosse boots wear out I shall replace them. When my Hunters wear out they will be the last pair of Hunter boots to cross my threshold.

For all the hype and pressure that goes along with having the right wellie, I will tell you this, none of them are comfortable. Spend a day in wellies following a spaniel at a field trial and you’ll not want to put them on again for a long time. And truthfully, they’re just rubber boots, no matter what the brand and what they are lined with. If you just want them for utility, get cheap boots. If you want them to convey some kind of outdoorsy/ countryside status, just spend your money on whatever. If you want a good, comfortable, rugged, do all boot, get a good pair of lace up boots.
Well said and thank you! ;)

eagle2250

A completely different sort of boot, but has anyone tried Dubarry sailing boots?
While I've had no actual experience with Dubarry sailing boots, reading about them leaves me thinking they are well made, much more comfortable that rubber muck boots and are correspondingly, but also reasonably priced. ;)

Corcovado

I will add that the boots that get the most use in this general category are Bogs. They don't look "trad" [yet] but they are great boots for shoveling snow.

challer

Dubarry I believe are made by Grundens. If this is the case, they would be very good. Saw them in Dublin a few years ago.

As for the any boot will do crowd, I have not found that to be the case. The quality of construction and materials vary quite a bit. Newer Hunters, I have seen delaminate and tear, a common problem when they became a fashion statement for urbanites. Comfort wise, I can and have worn the La Chameau over miles of snow and bog in a single day without complaint of comfort or warmth. No matter how much I've tried to waterproof leather boots, in extreme conditions let me down. I save the leather for less most conditions.

I think it's easy to assume that because these boots are more utility, it's easy to assume they are somewhat inter-changeable but my RWE suggests otherwise. And I don't give a damn about who sees me wearing what.

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This X 100. MIne are Home Depot specials and do the job just fine.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.