Bill Cunningham on the better dressed man in 2013.

Blessings

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I was going to post this on the trad forum, but thought it generally better suited to this area. Regardless I thought Mr. Cunningham's charming words were a beacon of hope for those of us who have watched in horror as the modern man subjects himself to socks, sandles, and cargo shorts.

Also to note is the amount of long overcoats, which it would seem, at least based on these photographs, are not so out of style as some of us would suggest. Perhaps they are even coming back in fashion.

While some of the ensembles depicted are not to my taste, and even laughable, I believe the sum of the parts to be a good sign of more people starting to care about their appearance.

mrkleen

There have always been hipsters and those with enough income in the big cities to dress well. I am glad to hear that Bill Cunningham thinks it is a bit of a tipping point towards better dress - but frankly, standing outside of of Bergdorf on 5th Ave is in no way a harbinger of the rest of NYC or the rest of the country in any way. That has always been the most fashionable part of NYC.

I work in the Midtown / Gramercy sectino of the city a few weeks a month - and while people certainly do dress in an "interesting" manner - I would NOT say they are more stylish or that the disheveled look is gone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange