fred johnson

Has anyone purchased pants from Bills Khakis lately? I would like to get a couple of new pairs of M1 original twills and was wondering if the quality is similar to previous pants. Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

drpeter

You might want to look into where these khakis are made. A major attraction for me with Bill's Khakis was that they were made in Reading, Penn., and employed American workers. Their quality was superb. At some point, I think they started outsourcing their pants to be made in Asian countries. I don't know if the quality has held up, along with the cost-cutting in manufacture obtained by outsourcing. You may want to look into this. Personally, I have had problems with clothes made in some countries like China because of the lower quality of the workmanship. If one obtains cheap labour, one is likely to to run into poor workmanship! It is interesting that clothes made in Hong Kong pose no quality problems for me. Clothes made in India are a mixed bag -- some good, some not so much. And so it goes.

I have an enormous number of Bill's Khakis in my favourite styles (M2, some pleated, others pleatless) purchased over the years, all of them American-made, most of them on sale at one shop or another, and at vastly reduced prices. And some of them were from eBay re-sellers who buy in bulk and pass on some of their savings to you. I have at least 50 pairs, perhaps as many as 60! I turned 70 last Saturday on August 15 (Independence Day for my old country, India), so I don't think I will need another pair of khakis for the rest of my life, LOL.

I really like the style, cut and structure of these pants, and above all, the military-grade weights of the cotton drill used to make some of them. They take starch beautifully. And if you want them to have a softer hand, they really come into their own after a few washes. One of my favourites is a pair of WWII style Gurkha pants with the flap in front and buckles on either side, designed to adjust to weight loss in wartime. I love khakis and they are my daily wear.

TKI67

If as drpeter suggests Bill's have outsourced production overseas, I'd give O'Connell's house brand a try. I have over the years had a fair number of Bill's, Orvis, and Brooks. The O'Connell's are my favorite so far and are made in the USA. On the subject of khakis, I always had mine cuffed here because Orvis and others would not budge from their standard cuffing. Ethan will accommodate us crazies who are stuck on the 1 3/4" cuff.

never behind

I can vouch as well - just checked a pair of poplin trousers I purchased a couple of months ago and tag says Made in USA. The shorts I bought last summer say the same.

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If as drpeter suggests Bill's have outsourced production overseas, I'd give O'Connell's house brand a try. I have over the years had a fair number of Bill's, Orvis, and Brooks. The O'Connell's are my favorite so far and are made in the USA. On the subject of khakis, I always had mine cuffed here because Orvis and others would not budge from their standard cuffing. Ethan will accommodate us crazies who are stuck on the 1 3/4" cuff.
Yeah I love O'Connell's despite some previous comments I made about the hemming. The trouser quality was great but I like an outside stitch not an inside. Maybe I should do a cuff instead?

Bills is awesome too except I kind of just like the original twill and nothing else.

TKI67

Yeah I love O'Connell's despite some previous comments I made about the hemming. The trouser quality was great but I like an outside stitch not an inside. Maybe I should do a cuff instead?

Bills is awesome too except I kind of just like the original twill and nothing else.
They are one of the few places (only one I know of, but I imagine there are others), that will hem to your instructions. For example they will do a 1 3/4" cuff if I write that in the comment section (or phone my order). next time you order you might ask if they would do an outside stitch, although on the Trad forum I feel constrained to recommending a 1 3/4" cuff.

;0)

fishertw

Advanced Member
My understanding is that Bills was bought out a couple of years ago and took production overseas.What I wouldnt give for several pair of M2P Bullard Field pants or Cramerton Cloth. Both fine products and both now missing from the Bills line up.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
My understanding is that Bills was bought out a couple of years ago and took production overseas.What I wouldnt give for several pair of M2P Bullard Field pants or Cramerton Cloth. Both fine products and both now missing from the Bills line up.
I bought two of those Cramerton cloth ones on that crazy sale they had (probably when they were bought out). I think I paid less than $100 total for the two. Some of the best khakis I've ever owned.

drpeter

[/QUOTE
I think I was fortunate enough (or far-sighted enough), some years ago, to stock up on at least a dozen pairs of M1 and M2 Bullard Field Pants, both plain front and pleated, and all made in the US. There were sellers on eBay who bought up lots of old stock and sold it for anywhere from $25 to $50 per pair. I also have at least half a dozen of the 15th anniversary Bill's signature pants. As for colours, I have khaki, British khaki, cement and olive green colours. The Bullard, especially, is an indestructible pair of trousers, they are my absolute favourites. They take starch very nicely too! In addition to these, I have many more of Bill's regular trousers, including a few in Cramerton twill, all in great shape after years of wear. I have other khakis as well, but I love Bill's the most.

fishertw

Advanced Member
I bought two of those Cramerton cloth ones on that crazy sale they had (probably when they were bought out). I think I paid less than $100 total for the two. Some of the best khakis I've ever owned.
Bit of trivia. Cramerton Cloth was named for the original Cramerton Mill in Cramerton NC outside of Charlotte. I think the mill is shut down now. It was one of the mills that produced the khaki material used in WWII and the mother of a good friend of mine worked in that mill during the time it was producing war goods. Cramerton Cloth by Bills was said to be made to the same specs as the original. Tom

Slim Jim

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Buy from Bill’s all the time. Same as they ever were.
Love the “Heritage Wash” broken in from the start.
Made in Connecticut.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.