Tom Crown

Starting Member
I'm looking at the Black Fleece Oxford cloth button linked here. How does its fit compare to Brooks Brothers' Slim Fit? I am very slim, and do not want a boxy fit at all.

Also, can it be worn untucked, or are the shirt-tails too long for that?

Thanks

gnatty8

If you take the slim fit, you will most likely find the fit of the BF to be too roomy and dare I say it, boxy. I think most people call it slim relative to BB normal shirts, but they are not what I would call slim at all. You may even want to size down, but be aware, many people complain about the sleeves running short (they fit me perfectly, so I must have short arms). Tails are not long at all, and in all honesty, a few of mine I find to have very short tails, especially relative to BB other slim fit and extra slim fit OCBD.

dport86

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^have to disagree somewhat with gnatty8, at least for BB0. I own BB slim, extra slim and BF, and find the Black Fleece BB0 (15/31) to be less fitted through the waist, shoulders and armholes than the Extra Slim 14.5/32. However, definitely slimmer than the BB slim, which I find to be quite a bit looser. BB has a great return policy, if you can't get to a store, you should order them all and return what doesn't work. SHipping's a small price to pay for the right fit. Extra Slim is really pretty slim/modern but not quite European fashion slim--not darted. Quality on the dress shirts with the pocket is surprisingly good for Made In China, but no where near Black Fleece. Those BF are great shirts.

Last edited:

At Law

I bought three Extra Slim Fits in Chicago last weekend and would
say they are a very nice fit. They are certainly much slimmer
than the Slim Fit.
The only problem is they are quite short. I will wear them
primarily for casual oxfords untucked. They stay tucked
in for about three minutes, then they're out. Just as well
keep them out.
For a size comparison-- I am 6'3" approx. 200 lbs - athletic build.
I purchased the size L Extra Slims.

I think the black fleece will run about the same as the Extra Slims.

gnatty8

^have to disagree somewhat with gnatty8, at least for BB0. I own BB slim, extra slim and BF, and find the Black Fleece BB0 (15/31) to be less fitted through the waist, shoulders and armholes than the Extra Slim 14.5/32. However, definitely slimmer than the BB slim, which I find to be quite a bit looser. BB has a great return policy, if you can't get to a store, you should order them all and return what doesn't work. SHipping's a small price to pay for the right fit. Extra Slim is really pretty slim/modern but not quite European fashion slim--not darted. Quality on the dress shirts with the pocket is surprisingly good for Made In China, but no where near Black Fleece. Those BF are great shirts.
You can disagree, but I think you are wrong. I wear a 16 neck in the slim fit, which translates into a BB3 for the BF. I laid each out and measured the chest right under the arms. The results? Slim Fit was 23" while the BF was a shade over 24". I think you will probably find the same thing. I have about a dozen of the BF shirts and tried 2 or 3, and they measured consistently broader across the chest than the slim fit.

One thing I would agree is that they are terrific shirts, in terms of fabric and detailing. I just wish Brooks would offer a slimmer version.

gnatty8

I bought three Extra Slim Fits in Chicago last weekend and would
say they are a very nice fit. They are certainly much slimmer
than the Slim Fit.
The only problem is they are quite short. I will wear them
primarily for casual oxfords untucked. They stay tucked
in for about three minutes, then they're out. Just as well
keep them out.
For a size comparison-- I am 6'3" approx. 200 lbs - athletic build.
I purchased the size L Extra Slims.

I think the black fleece will run about the same as the Extra Slims.
This is not correct. Again, of the Slim, Extra Slim and Black Fleece, the BF is by far the roomiest of the three, by inches!

Do not buy BF for a slim fit unless you plan on taking it to your tailor. Again, these are slimmer than BB normal offerings, but to say they are on par with the slim or extra slim in terms of actual fit is not correct.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.