black pinstripe suit, what shirt, tie do you like?

bwep

I am going to a function this evening that has written on the invite as "evening attire." I am not sure what this means, but friends and my wife have explained that no one will be in tux/dinner jacket mode. I am therefore going with a black pinstipe suit. Unlike FNB who reports that he is in a white shirt frame of mind, I prefer patterns or even deep colors. I will probably go with lavender spread collar as my shirt. I am thinking about two ties. One is a paisley with multiple shades of purple/lavender and the other is black with thin deep purple, thinner yellow regimental stipes. Leaning to the paisley b/c it is unique and tend to wear the other tie with deeper shades of purple shirts. To top it of will be a great Herme purple square (damn you gabba goul).

So, what do you like for your look with this type of suit for the "evening attire" party?

"...always aspire to live simply and elegantly." - Madeleine Finn

zegnamtl

Elite Member
Good afternoon Bwep,

The lines of what means what on invitations is certainly "flou" (blurred) these days.

Based on the descriptions, I would cast my vote for the paisley tie.

I hope the evening is a very good one.

Film_Noir_Buff

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I would love to see the shirt and ties posted. With the information you give, the paisley and lavender shirt will yield a rich, natty look.

And, I have to buy some more white shirts, I was getting to the point where I literally had none!

Holdfast

Honors Member
quote:Originally posted by bwep

I am going to a function this evening that has written on the invite as "evening attire."

This is so vague as to be meaningless. I do wonder what organisers are thinking when they write suggestions like this - it helps no-one.

quote:I am therefore going with a black pinstipe suit.

I wore a black pinstripe yesterday and feeling whimsical paired it with a lavender H&K shirt but an acid-green solid RLPL tie. Very bold but I think it worked!

Leaving my tie eccentricities aside, I have also paired the black pinstripe/lavender shirt combo with a purple paisley RLPL and other deep purples. You might also try silvers/greys for an interesting contrast.

The black pinstripe also goes rather well with a cream/ecru shirt with a predominantly red tie (proper red, not burgundy).

I've also paired it with a black-striped white shirt and a black or grey tie but be careful with the width of stripes on the shirt. If feeling especially daring, try a black/white patterned shirt - I have one in a absolutely minute herringbone that works well but again, be very careful!

Film_Noir_Buff

quote:Originally posted by Holdfast
The black pinstripe also goes rather well with a cream/ecru shirt with a predominantly red tie (proper red, not burgundy).

It goes even better with a true butter or lemon yellow and an actual tan shirt. Unfortunately, the handsome color combination of this later look is now associated with a sinister uniform.

Holdfast

Honors Member
^ Re: yellow shirts - yellow really doesn't suit me at all so I didn't think of it but yes, I can definitely see that working.

And yes, probably best to avoid black/tan/red...:D

floutist

Either one. Were I wearing such a suit for evening, I'd go with a white shirt and taupe tie, with a black undertone. Perhaps a pocket square in a discreet pattern, mixing taupe, black and white. Have fun.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange