Boat shoes: the options

Cruiser

Connoisseur
Cruiser,

You basically spent $200, but you got 2 pairs of shoes. The question is, will 2 "lower cost" shoes outlive one "higher cost" shoe?

Actually it was more like $140 for the two pairs of shoes, but I fully understand where you are coming from and don't necessarily disagree. It's just that it's not that big a deal to me.

I don't wear the same pair of boat shoes more than one time in a three day period so rotating these three pairs will give them a fairly long life. Besides, after wearing a pair of boat shoes for a few years I'm ready to pitch them anyway and get a pair of new ones.

It really isn't about the money. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

Tenacious Tassel

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Cruiser,

Good points. Also, with new offerings coming out yearly (see Oak Street Bootmakers, for example), it's hard to contemplate many, many years from one shoe.

My only point was (and I wasn't implying this was your argument) that higher cost mocs/loafers aren't necessarily a waste of $ if they last longer.

Not all expensive shoes have are equally durable, in my experience. For example, my Quoddy boat shoes were never 3 times more durable than my Topsiders.

blairrob

Speaking of boat/deck shoes, do you guys use shoe trees in them?

I don't. Topsiders and Docksiders both stretch a bit, and I would only use a tree if a deck shoe was too tight. I particularly noticed this as an issue with Sperry's, and now only wear Sebagos. This may be affected by their usage; I sail on salt water and they often get wet. While I have sailed for all but the first 4 years of life I have never had a pair other than these so my experience is limited.

Blair

Redsrover

Just ordered Quoddy Boat Shoe (unlined) from O'Connells online... I wear an 11D in loafers and most dress shoes, so I ordered the 11D and hope they fit.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Redsrover: The Quoddy Trail boat shoe and loafer designs I have purchased, have all fit true to size. I suspect your's will fit as well. Look forward to reading of your impressions, once you have had a chance to experience the Quoddy comfort on your feet! :thumbs-up:

Redsrover

Spoke to O'connells yesterday morning (shipping versus billing address change) and they said the Boat Shoe was prepped for shipping via UPS ground. Not a peep since then. Should I expect an email with tracking info?

Sartre

Yes, this is the usual procedure at Quoddy. However, I wouldn't sweat it, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a day to walk the shoes over from production to shipping, a day to create the shipping label, another day or two on the rack awaiting shipment, etc. Just hope yours haven't fallen down the back of the shelves as mine did once, awaiting shipment for about 3 weeks before they were discovered.

At least the shoes are nice. :)

Redsrover

UPS says Monday by 5pm...I hope Im not disappointed in fit or style. Wife hates the Topsider with white sole look so I am gambling the three eyelet design even with white sole will be different somehow. But if not, sfw. Cheers!

Redsrover

Damn…11D is too tight across toes and too short in length for me. Guess I have to return these for exchange and see how 11.5D fits. So much for having these by this weekend.

Yankee-Whisky-Papa

Starting Member
Boat Shoes are for Boating

True signs of the boating shoe's wearer using them correctly:
-Green-oxidized eyelets from the sea's salt
-Retro-fitted with open brass grommets on the instep for better ventilation/water draining
-4th set of leather laces (or replaced fully with synthetic cords for the offshoremen)
-Regularly treated with wax polish or oil
-Disproportionately unworn sole compared to mangled toe and heel sections of the leather

Offshore sailors tend to not slip them on or off, preferring to untie and retie them each time. If they can be slipped on and off in the house, they will certainly slip off when the deck is fully awash during heavy seas.

yankee-whisky-papa.blogspot.com

hardline_42

Honors Member
True signs of the boating shoe's wearer using them correctly:
-Green-oxidized eyelets from the sea's salt
-Retro-fitted with open brass grommets on the instep for better ventilation/water draining
-4th set of leather laces (or replaced fully with synthetic cords for the offshoremen)
-Regularly treated with wax polish or oil
-Disproportionately unworn sole compared to mangled toe and heel sections of the leather

Offshore sailors tend to not slip them on or off, preferring to untie and retie them each time. If they can be slipped on and off in the house, they will certainly slip off when the deck is fully awash during heavy seas.

yankee-whisky-papa.blogspot.com
Welcome to the forum YWP! I've been reading BTC for a while now. It's a good companion to Muffy's blog. Kind of like Mom and Pop prep. Any pics of the above mentioned boat shoes?

Redsrover

Yessir, YWP...enjoy your blog greatly. Without Max around, I go to BTC first now.

So I sent the Quoddy Boats back to O'connell's yesterday after calling them and ordering a half size larger. I'm in a time crunch for a boating weekend (Fri-Sun on the water) and need these at my door no later than Thursday COB. I asked for 2-day shipping for $25. For $215 shoes, what's $25 to get them in 2 days...? The final tally is reached, the order placed and card charged.

Yesterday at 4pm EST I receive a UPS shipping notice via email that indicates the Quoddy's are en route, UPS Ground, expected delivery Friday by 5pm. No good. I call back and a gentleman said he'd change the shipping type on the package if possible, if not he'd overnight another pair to me for Thursday delivery.

Great response to their error and my problem, I wonder if I'll get the shoes in time. What's funny is this sort of thing seems to happen to me only when it is an item I've been mildly interested in for a while and then feverishly attracted to all at once. Come on, O'connell's...show me your best!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
When ordering from O'Connell's in the future, should there be some confusion over the size needed, they will send out several options and bill you for just what you keep. At least, they have done that for me...on two occasions. Might save you that expesss shipping cost in the future. ;)

Redsrover

They arrived by 10am. I tried them on when i came home from my office and they fit fine. They are nice barefooted and will likely stretch some with time making socked wear nice too. Great construction and finish. The leather is 100 times the quality of other brands I have looked at in my search. Glad I went with the Quoddy from O'connell's.

Redsrover

The Quoddy unlined boat shoe from O'Connell's has shed both leather insoles. Glue gave out, the insole flops out every time I remove the shoes. Also, the true inside of the shoe has "11D" written down at the heel, and in the leather padded insole has "11.5D" written on it. WTF...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange