Boat shoes: the options

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Sounds like an email to Quoddy Trail is in order. Regarding the insole, those do come loose rather easily. I simply re-glue mine, when such happens. You might also share your experience with O'Connell's, since they are the vendor from whom the boat shoes were purchased.

Redsrover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I just received double order from Oconnells...Quoddy boat shoe with brown camp sole and Maliseet blucher oxford...both in 12D for socked wear in winter months as well as barefooted now. These are sublime.

Sartre

The Quoddy unlined boat shoe from O'Connell's has shed both leather insoles. Glue gave out, the insole flops out every time I remove the shoes. Also, the true inside of the shoe has "11D" written down at the heel, and in the leather padded insole has "11.5D" written on it. WTF...

This kind of thing is an all-too-frequent occurrence with Quoddy. The quality is great...once you've sent them back at least once, and often twice, to have the leather, stitching, sizing, etc. repaired.

I'm sick of it. I'm trying Rancourt & Co. next time.

YoungClayB

Posting a pic of my AE Westbrooks after one complete season of wear. I absolutely love year shoes. Best arch support I've ever seen in a boat shoe and the leather quality is second to none. And they are recraftable. Also I have had the odor issues that I have had with Sperrys.
photo3-16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sartre

^ Nice looking. Are they lined or unlined? I've found that I have foot odor issues with unlined mocs that I do not have with lined ones. It may be just me, but I've had enough experience now that I believe the correlation is direct.

David J. Cooper

I just bought a pair of these for working at boat shows or hanging out in bars:

but I wear these when I'm actually sailing or doing a delivery:

Hardly trad but very secure and don't get left behind when hiking or jumping around in the cockpit. I actually blew out of a pair of Rockports while jibing a spinnaker last year.

sarakali

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I like my Sperry Top-Siders from J. Crew. The collaboration shoes are identical to the mainline Top-Siders except for a cotton chambray lining which is great for sweaty feet in hot weather (like mine). After wearing them day in and day out for about two years now, I couldn't be happier. J. Crew offers frequent 25-40% off sales especially with the holidays approaching, so the price should not be prohibitive. Mine are a classic dark brown with a white sole.

Allen Dreadmon

I have an old pair of unlined dark brown chromexcel Sperry's. They are like slippers and the leather has a great patina. I wish I could have these resoled because the soles are wearing down now and I have become attached.

MythReindeer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've thought about getting some, but needing a B width takes most cheap options out of the running. I have some blucher mocs from Quoddy that are great, but it will be a while before I can go back to that well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange