eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I hate to say this, but I suspect the author of that article is pulling our collective legs. I am hesitant to admit that I have worn Bolo Ties (occasionally) in the past and frankly cannot recall garnering many, if any, positive responses from the people I was with, but there were more than a few well intended, humorous jabs aimed in my direction. Somewhere around here I think I may still have a couple such ties hidden away. Perhaps I will initiate a quest to find those 'blasts from my past!' ;)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I hate to say this, but I suspect the author of that article is pulling our collective legs. I am hesitant to admit that I have worn Bolo Ties (occasionally) in the past and frankly cannot recall garnering many, if any, positive responses from the people I was with, but there were more than a few well intended, humorous jabs aimed in my direction. Somewhere around here I think I may still have a couple such ties hidden away. Perhaps I will initiate a quest to find those 'blasts from my past!' ;)
I think bolos are cool, but I can’t pull them off personally. I am too much of an east coast guy.

Cheers,

BSR

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My feeling is that they are not only a Western thing but a Southwestern thing that kind of stops at the eastern slopes of the Coast Range. I don't think that I ever saw anyone wearing one in the decades I lived in the LA Basin and I know I haven't seen any up here in the PNW. They probably go well from Palm Springs east to Houston. How far north? Good question. Boise, maybe? Helena, MT?

Dhaller

Advanced Member
My feeling is that they are not only a Western thing but a Southwestern thing that kind of stops at the eastern slopes of the Coast Range. I don't think that I ever saw anyone wearing one in the decades I lived in the LA Basin and I know I haven't seen any up here in the PNW. They probably go well from Palm Springs east to Houston. How far north? Good question. Boise, maybe? Helena, MT?
The bolo is the official tie of Texas, and even then I wouldn't expect to see it much in Houston; I think if you draw a line from Dallas to San Antonio, with Austin and Houston east of the line, bolos are more a feature west of that line (Austin is a tricky case, because on the one hand you have an epicenter of Country & Western music, but on the other hand you have tech companies and liberal sensibilities, both decidedly non-bolo-ish).

And of course Arizona and New Mexico.

My maternal family is mostly from east Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas and I cannot recall anyone ever wearing a bolo tie (even my grandad, who sang country-western and even did cowboy yodeling in the style of Jack Guthrie and Jimmie Rogers, was never seen in bolo ties, and he was a character straight from Cormac McCarthy!)

IF the tie did make a "comeback" (wrong word, since it's never been universally fashionable), I think it would be in the same spirit of hipster irony as bowties & vests, and button-up boots.

DH

ItalianStyle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The article is locked so I can't read it. I did however assume it was referring to the US at the most.

I remember 45 years ago as a kid at a 65-year celebration of some family member's birthday (in Europe). An elderly gentleman wore a bolo tie... I think he once emigrated to the US and now was home for the occasion.
The silence in the room everywhere he went was remarkable... not the kind of silence due to awe and admiration... more the silence that would also occur if he had worn a tie around his head... pure bewilderment... :D

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
A little history from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Bolo or Bola is a Western style tie of heavy rounded braid with metal tipped ends fastened with an ornamental bar, slide or clasp. The bolo or bola is named for a rope with weights attached, used especially in South America to catch cattle or game by entangling their legs. The name comes from the Spanish word for “ball”.

StephenRG

Honors Member
I've mentioned this before - probably more than once. I saw Bryan Ferry around the corner from my flat in London once, wearing a bolo tie quite nonchalantly. He could pull it off. I wouldn't even try.

eagle2250

LOL. Rumor has it that I was spotted wearing my Bolo's in San Antonio, TX, Kansas City, MO and probably Kansas City, KS, and Whiteman AFB, MO. Beyond that, your guess would be as good as mine...damn memory! ;)

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
But you did say once that you had a full Porter Wagoner, just in case, no?

Actually, no. A Nudie suit would be incredibly expensive. I live in a world where jobs pay $50 to $150. No Nudie suit. I do have a cowboy hat for some shows; I actually use that more for a radio theater group where I provide music and occasionally get a speaking line or two.

eagle2250

But if it's radio, how would anyone know if you're wearing a cowboy hat? Or a fez or a beret? I nag, I know.
A Fedora/hat, regardless the design changes one's image...and perhaps even their voice, which might just come across over the radio. However, having seen Acct2000 perform, I can tell you with great certainty that he is an accomplished, multi-talented musician and vocalist! Very entertaining. ;)

Also the late, great Don Imus wore a cowboy hat, when performing on the radio. :beer:

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
A Fedora/hat, regardless the design changes one's image...and perhaps even their voice, which might just come across over the radio. However, having seen Acct2000 perform, I can tell you with great certainty that he is an accomplished, multi-talented musician and vocalist! Very entertaining. ;)

Also the late, great Don Imus wore a cowboy hat, when performing on the radio. :beer:
I just wore a fedora style hat (with a sport coat and necktie) when I played Sam in "Casablana" last month. (I played and sang "As Time Goes By" and had about 10 speaking lines.)

Cowboy hats are for westerns and sometimes used as Halloween costumes because I don't want to buy a costume.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.