ATL

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Anyone have any details on the Boyd's of St. Louis house brand? Or, at least, I assume the sportcoat I just picked up from a thrift is from the house brand.

xcubbies

I use to shop at Boyd's in the 1960s. They sold good quality traditional clothing, with a men's, women's and boy's department in their Clayton store. I suppose it was where I first came to admire clothing, though as a sixteen, seventeen year old, I could not afford much there. I don't think they still exist, which is a shame.

ATL

Yeah, it went under in the '90s, I think. The jacket is really well made, so I'm happy, I was just hoping someone knew a little more about the manufacturer.

cincydavid

A lot of their store brand items were under the Threadneedle Street label...I used to go to the Boyd's Subway discount section on the lower level of the store in Clayton when I was a student at St Louis U in the 80s. They were downtown St Louis, Clayton, and I seem to recall there was a store in Crestwood, maybe?

AtlantaPete

Starting Member
In the early 1960s, the downtown Boyd's store was the outlet for Gant shirt seconds, at the time Gant was the gold standard. I was in college in Chicago and my family lived in downstate Illinois about 90 miles from St. Louis. I would take orders from my college buddies, and load up on Gant button downs and make a small premium for my efforts. I still had some of those shirts many years after college.

G

Guest-710844

I worked at the downtown Boyd's while attending SLU in the late '60s. Absolutely first-rate clothes...Pringle sweaters, Gant shirts, belts, ties. Those were the days.

G

Guest-524718

Southwick and Hickey Freeman were also labels @ Boyd’s. Gittmen Bros shirts were the gold standard as were Allen Edmonds shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Color 8

Southwick and Hickey Freeman were also labels @ Boyd’s. Gittmen Bros shirts were the gold standard as were Allen Edmonds shoes.
Boyd's in Philadelphia still sells Gitman Bros shirts, but that only makes sense as Gitman is semi-local and even used to have an outlet on Race St. I still mourn it's closing.
There is an Allen Edmonds factory store in the next block, so there wouldn't be any point in stocking AE.

G

Guest-206075

Boyd’s had several stores at one time : downtown, Clayton, Northwest Plaza, Crestwood, northland, Jamestown mall, st. Clair to name a few. Their house brand was Threadneedle made by Southwick in suits and shoes were also called Theadneedle made by Bostonian, they carried both men and women’s clothing. They were owned by Cluett Peabody (Arrow Shirt Co.).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.