Boyer quote: TNSIL emerged in late 30s

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
FerrisBueller said:
I like your assumption that the Ivy shops may have focused more on sportswear (which may have ultimately morphed into "preppy")? Were the suits cut differently? You had suggested that perhaps cuffs were not originally on ivy style suit pants. That would make sense to me.

Perhaps Brooks Bros. was traditional, and university shops were ivy??? Am I on the right track?
I have no idea. I am too young to have "been there", so I must rely on older members and writers. My post above was to spark some thinking and ask a few questions about the word "trad" and our use (or possible mis-use) of the term.

Today I started reading Paul Keers' book, A Gentleman's Wardrobe, which is about classic British clothing, but he makes a few statements which (obliquely) suggest that pre-war "Ivy" was rather different than post-war "Ivy". I am beginning to think the differences may have been quite pronounced, a view which is supported in part by a passage in a French-published but English-language book (which I saw in a bookstore in Montreal) which defined "Ivy League" style as something quite different than Boyer's article, and dated it to the pre-war period.

(Ironically, Keers' book has a double-page photo of a BB OCBD and it looks really, really nice, with much longer collar points, and possibly softer fabric than today. The book dates from 1988.)

DocD

[email protected]

Starting Member
Invertere is most certainly NOT out of business but has not sold into the USA for the past couple of years. We are still making most of the traditional Invertere styles and are still based in Newton Abbot, Devon, England. We are hoping to re-enter the US market next year and reading all the positive comments on Ask Andy Forums has given me great confidence that we will once again be successful.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange