drpeter

Sarge, I have a question about the image you posted.

To the right of the gentleman, all dressed for the hunt, there are two steel or pewter cups with angled handles. I have seen these kinds of cups before in images from films that feature scenes of such hunts. I think they can be carried along while one is on horseback. They remind me of the pewter cups used to drink the classic Pimm's No 1 cocktail at cricket matches and other sporting events. Do they have a special name?

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Sarge, I have a question about the image you posted.

To the right of the gentleman, all dressed for the hunt, there are two steel or pewter cups with angled handles. I have seen these kinds of cups before in images from films that feature scenes of such hunts. I think they can be carried along while one is on horseback. They remind me of the pewter cups used to drink the classic Pimm's No 1 cocktail at cricket matches and other sporting events. Do they have a special name?
I believe the term is 'stirrup cup' being one that was handed down after mounting for a 'stimulating' wee dram before the hunt itself began. This always struck me as a truly bad idea but that is probably do to my complete lack of comfort on horseback. I find horses like motorcycles. They're lovely to look at--from a modest distance!

drpeter

Thank you! Now I remember the term. Stirrup cup is the perfect way to characterize this drinking vessel.

As for horses, I do not ride them, although I admire them. But I used to ride motorcycles a lot in my youth and even completed a 2000-mile trip around southern India back in 1971, through mountains, forests, monsooon rains, flooded rivers and all the rest of it. I still toy with the idea of buying a motorcycle, but I may be getting a little too old for that at 70.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
After I left Active Duty I thought that I might make Affirmative Action work for me and become an RN. It didn't turn out well. But for the 13 months I worked on a Spinal Column Injury ward, it did have the beneficial effect to make me swear off the following activities: 1) Diving head first into an unknown depth, 2) Riding an innertube down a snowy slope, and lastly, 3) no motorcycles!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
After I left Active Duty I thought that I might make Affirmative Action work for me and become an RN. It didn't turn out well. But for the 13 months I worked on a Spinal Column Injury ward, it did have the beneficial effect to make me swear off the following activities: 1) Diving head first into an unknown depth, 2) Riding an innertube down a snowy slope, and lastly, 3) no motorcycles!
The discomfort of an increasingly arthritic spine convinced me to leave my Harley parked in the garage on an increasingly frequent basis, over my last two years of ownership and I finally sold it when our young grandsons began getting overly interested in the beast! For the reasons you state above, I really didn't want to see them getting into iron horses. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.