British country clothing (photos)...

drpeter

Pictorial proof that our friends on the other side of the pond, and their beasts, can appear/seem a bit anal retentive at times! We Yanks would just slop through that little puddle. LOL. ;)
LOL. Isn't anal retention, in the sense of being obsessive about the proper way to do things, the very point of being British?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_dd9c46f7253ba2e374f87fc24680bb19_0218dc9f_640.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

I recall several overcast morning in my NW Indiana past where our daughters saddled up and headed out on early morning trail rides. Our base of operations was somewhat less splendiferous than that in the picture above and they suited up as formally as that pictured, only when riding in various competitions. Good memories. Thanks for inciting me to look back. ;)

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
LOL. Isn't anal retention, in the sense of being obsessive about the proper way to do things, the very point of being British?
American Anglophilia would have us believe that, but it's not really true in the main. They have fussy rules queens just like we have here and everywhere, and it's not ethnic and only slightly cultural.

drpeter

American Anglophilia would have us believe that, but it's not really true in the main. They have fussy rules queens just like we have here and everywhere, and it's not ethnic and only slightly cultural.
It's true that all cultures have rules and some "guardians" who are sticklers about rules. LOL, I think the manner in which the sticklers come down on the rule-breakers is probably what changes from culture to culture. Here's an example:

In my old country, India, there are many people, usually religious and conservative Hindus, who want everyone to stick to a traditional set of rules, but when people break those rules, they often come down harshly on the rule- breakers. The consequences can be far more severe. In Britain, by comparison, the displeasure felt by those who believe in tradition would be expressed in far subtler ways. So someone telling you quietly, but with obvious discomfort that your actions are simply "not proper, not the done thing", would, IMHO, be more anal retentive than a bunch of people who might verbally (sometimes physically) assault you if they feel your behaviour is breaking their rules! Let me hasten to add that such things don't happen often, and assaults and riots are part of lots of cultures, not just India.

I don't partake of American anglophilia, since I was not raised in this country. The places I lived in, Colonial Malaya and later newly independent India, had a very different set of attitudes toward the British than say the US, or Canada or New Zealand, etc. But that's another story! However, it is also good to remind ourselves that there are good and bad things about all cultures, and having lived in a few places, I know this from first-hand experience.

drpeter

Sarge, some say the best Indian and Italian restaurants in the world are in London. I have eaten at some fine London restaurants as well as in some excellent places in Bombay, New Delhi, Florence and Rome (especially the Trastevare district south of the Tiber in Rome). I think it's arguable, but London does have great food.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Sarge, some say the best Indian and Italian restaurants in the world are in London. I have eaten at some fine London restaurants as well as in some excellent places in Bombay, New Delhi, Florence and Rome (especially the Trastevare district south of the Tiber in Rome). I think it's arguable, but London does have great food.
But does it have great English food? ;)

drpeter

But does it have great English food? ;)
Now many might say that great English food is an oxymoron, LOL. Including some Englishmen I know. One theory advanced by the English themselves is that they went out and colonized the world because of two things: their weather (it's always drizzling) and the food (pretty bland stuff).

But I am only kidding. There are many good things to be had for consumption in England: Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, Charlotte Russe, Blancmange, spotted dick, and my favourite, bangers and mash. And how can we forget shepherd's pie? In spite of all that, however, one of their foreign secretaries, Robin Cook, once declared (officially) that the national dish of Britain was chicken tikka masala. Another instance of The Empire Striking Back.

Which leads me to the Irish. Here is an account of an Irishman leaving their beautiful isle and going to India: The accents are strong, so the lyrics might help, they are here:

https://genius.com/Gaelic-storm-punjab-paddy-lyrics

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Now many might say that great English food is an oxymoron, LOL. Including some Englishmen I know. One theory advanced by the English themselves is that they went out and colonized the world because of two things: their weather (it's always drizzling) and the food (pretty bland stuff).

But I am only kidding. There are many good things to be had for consumption in England: Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, Charlotte Russe, Blancmange, spotted dick, and my favourite, bangers and mash. And how can we forget shepherd's pie? In spite of all that, however, one of their foreign secretaries, Robin Cook, once declared (officially) that the national dish of Britain was chicken tikka masala. Another instance of The Empire Striking Back.

Which leads me to the Irish. Here is an account of an Irishman leaving their beautiful isle and going to India: The accents are strong, so the lyrics might help, they are here:

https://genius.com/Gaelic-storm-punjab-paddy-lyrics

LOL. Your pints are well made and the jingle you reference is memorable, for sure...it makes the point(s) and tickles the listener's funny bone, all at the same time. ;)

drpeter

LOL. Your pints are well made and the jingle you reference is memorable, for sure...it makes the point(s) and tickles the listener's funny bone, all at the same time. ;)
I'm delighted that you love it. I sent it to all my (Boston) Irish relatives -- my sister-in-law and her brothers, and other family members. They enjoyed it too.

Some of the Indian place names are either made-up or misspelt or both, but that's OK. It's the song that counts. Really funny lines too, for instance:

I dreamed I got a letter from me darling Josephine
She asked me would I marry her, back home in Skibbereen
But the girls out here have almond eyes and jasmine-scented hair
And there's things in the Kama Sutra that they never do in Clare!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.