British country clothing (photos)...

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_dc62063cfb3e4b3ef6b1245ef2faabd3_07439cf6_640.jpg

tumblr_19fbaf800a7402f4f6d500c9642d04c4_94b59153_640.jpg

drpeter

Very interesting. The gentleman appears to be wearing a kilt under the Burberry coat. If so, this is the first time I have seen a kilt and raincoat combined in an image. One usually sees pictures of men wearing kilts in all their splendour, without anything else on top of them. Likewise with the hat, a fedora as opposed to a Highland cap, unusual in a kilt-wearer.

GRH

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Very interesting. The gentleman appears to be wearing a kilt under the Burberry coat. If so, this is the first time I have seen a kilt and raincoat combined in an image. One usually sees pictures of men wearing kilts in all their splendour, without anything else on top of them. Likewise with the hat, a fedora as opposed to a Highland cap, unusual in a kilt-wearer.
Plus fours.

drpeter

Plus fours.
You know, I wondered about that but decided that, as far as I could make out, there was no slight break in the middle which would signify the trouser legs, as opposed to a continuous line which would indicate a kilt. But I agree it's likely plus fours, maybe my eyes are not too good!

Tweedlover

Ever since Ancestry.com told me that ancestrally I am justified to wear a kilt I have wanted to do so, but alas, I just don't have the nerve to do it/pull it off! Heavy sigh! ;)
Being of Scottish descent, I long toyed with the idea of getting a kilt in the appropriate clan colors. But, passed on it because the only time I would have considered wearing it was to the nearby annual Scottish festival which actually died out a couple of years before covid hit. I surely do miss that festival.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Being of Scottish descent, I long toyed with the idea of getting a kilt in the appropriate clan colors. But, passed on it because the only time I would have considered wearing it was to the nearby annual Scottish festival which actually died out a couple of years before covid hit. I surely do miss that festival.
I've never seen one announced up here but the one in Orange County used to find us in attendance every year. I had the rare good sense to marry a McDowell!

drpeter

My ex-wife was partly of Scottish descent, so we went a few times to the annual Burns' night held at a restaurant in town. There were two chaps who played the bagpipe, all decked out in full regalia, kilts, jackets and so forth. The only trouble was that the group was assembled in a large room in the basement, with a low ceiling and no windows.

The sound of bagpipes (which I actually love) was enormous in that closed space. From what I gather, bagpipes are usually played in the open air, or in large halls with a vaulted ceiling, at the very least. But we all drank plenty of single malt scotch -- which usually helps with most situations -- and everyone had a good time, and a nice dinner.

One of my colleagues at the university who also attended some of these festivities was a Jordanian engineer from Amman. We thought he and I (an Indian) could both get dressed up in kilts and the rest of the gear at a future Burns' night, and surprise everyone. But in the end we didn't -- it was far too expensive for an amusement.

Tweedlover

My ex-wife was partly of Scottish descent, so we went a few times to the annual Burns' night held at a restaurant in town. There were two chaps who played the bagpipe, all decked out in full regalia, kilts, jackets and so forth. The only trouble was that the group was assembled in a large room in the basement, with a low ceiling and no windows.

The sound of bagpipes (which I actually love) was enormous in that closed space. From what I gather, bagpipes are usually played in the open air, or in large halls with a vaulted ceiling, at the very least. But we all drank plenty of single malt scotch -- which usually helps with most situations -- and everyone had a good time, and a nice dinner.

One of my colleagues at the university who also attended some of these festivities was a Jordanian engineer from Amman. We thought he and I (an Indian) could both get dressed up in kilts and the rest of the gear at a future Burns' night, and surprise everyone. But in the end we didn't -- it was far too expensive for an amusement.
Yeah, if one buys not only a kilt but the rest of the kit to go with it-shoes, jacket, sporran, etc.-it would get rather pricey.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange