Men's Clothing Forums banner

British country clothing (photos)...

330K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Some time ago I promised one of our mods that I would produce some good links for "how to wear British country clothing". Having failed to do that, here I will post some random photos I've encountered during my travels across the internet.

These photos provide excellent examples of how middle-class Brits wear their country clothing when pursuing outdoor field sports. We will see many waxed jackets, tweed breeks, and modern "Gore-Tex" shooting jackets in action. As I've said before, I used to subscribe to The Field, a stuffy magazine devoted to British country life and sports. It was well-illustrated with genuine country folk doing their thing and the photos posted below are authentic.

Once the outdoor photos are posted, I will post some photos of people getting ready for the post-shoot dinner and festivities.

Enjoy!

PS: What won't be seen are the rural working class serving as beaters, etc. It would be nice to have some photos thus, but I simply don't as yet.

Reactions: OlSmi
#27 ·
Excellent photographs.
The first batch are the most representative I would say.
The second lot are a bit more 'dressed for the part' - there's quite a lot of new looking clothing there. The Guardsmen look a lot more more relaxed and natural.

Most of the Wellies being worn are 'Hunters' I'd say. The English classic.

B.
Make that "Scottish" classic, thank you

#28 ·
Dear All
I had intended to post a couple of images.. however i have no idea how to!!!
Today we went to the Races at Bangor on Dee. I wore a Derby Tweed Norfolk Shooting suit, Tattersall shirt from Cordings, Bespoke Boots from NZ, tweed cap etc etc... May other "Tweeded" Gentleman around, so was rather fun.

If anyone can advise how i post images i would be most grateful
Regards
SRB
<<Bespoke Boots from NZ>>

do tell...

#29 ·
NZ Bespoke Boots

<<Bespoke Boots from NZ>>

do tell...
Hello there
I had some boots made whilst in NZ. The company was called the Lat Footwear Company and although still in business now its all bought in ready made. In 95 when i purchased mine they made their shoes in Dunedin and were genuine quality. I have handmade Oxfords, Brogues, boat shoes and Boots from them..

#32 ·
I'm pretty sure the Last Footwear Company is in Christchurch. Dad has a pair of their boots; while they are of very sturdy construction, I thought the look of them very much suited the outdoors and not so much the indoors-looking-like-the-outdoors. Of course, I have not seen many examples of their work and defer to Sir Royston's opinion.

#33 ·
Last Footwear Company

I'm pretty sure the Last Footwear Company is in Christchurch. Dad has a pair of their boots; while they are of very sturdy construction, I thought the look of them very much suited the outdoors and not so much the indoors-looking-like-the-outdoors. Of course, I have not seen many examples of their work and defer to Sir Royston's opinion.
Doug, Hello. hope you are well. LFC may well actually be based in CHCH.. but i do remember they made their bespoke items in Dunedin.. sadly, as i mentioned it seems they have no ceased bespoke production in favour of imported items.
To all, I hope that Doug will agree on this point. There were quite a few NZ clothing etc. companies whom always made their products in NZ and it was always a pleasure to support them.. however it seems that almost all are using imported goods nowadays.. very sad

#36 ·
Now these photos are the same group as above, but dressed for the after-shoot dinner (i.e. piss-up). Lots of hard-core "squire" stuff going on here. Note the clashing colour & pattern combinations that country Brits put together without the slightest sense of irony...

#41 ·
Now these photos are the same group as above, but dressed for the after-shoot dinner (i.e. piss-up). Lots of hard-core "squire" stuff going on here. Note the clashing colour & pattern combinations that country Brits put together without the slightest sense of irony...
Love the pin through the tie on that old boy in the last shot.
A very Holland & Holland-esq style show for the after shoot drinking. They look much better here.
The clothes MUST look worn. The wear on the collar on the chap with the eye-brows in the first shot is perfect.
Patina is the key to this look.
Class is never flash in Blighty...
My dear Grandmother always used to say "Only the poor spend money".
Alice in Wonderland logic (and she was bonkers) but the key to getting this look right is to buy quality and then to treat it like dirt for a decade.
THEN you'll look the part.
Nothing new, nothing shiney (unless it shines with age).
Our own American Squire looks just fine but give him a decade wearing the same clothes & he'll look more like an English Squire.
Stilton on legs!

#43 ·
Doug, Hello. hope you are well. LFC may well actually be based in CHCH.. but i do remember they made their bespoke items in Dunedin.. sadly, as i mentioned it seems they have no ceased bespoke production in favour of imported items.
To all, I hope that Doug will agree on this point. There were quite a few NZ clothing etc. companies whom always made their products in NZ and it was always a pleasure to support them.. however it seems that almost all are using imported goods nowadays.. very sad
Very said indeed....Yes. But thankfully, we have Fogeys young and old from whom we can still find the appropriate kit!

#46 ·
Photos of a completely different shooting party; from their clothing, I'd say this lot spends more time outside than the previous. Note the spectacular original Musto jacket in the second photo, third from left.

#49 ·
the only thing that bothers me

I love all this clothing. Spent five years in London and still can't get enough of it. Only thing is the collars: Almost everyone wears a spread, or, as some of the Jermyn Street shops call it, a Prince of Wales.

The frayed collar is textbook. I knew plenty of men who kept their oldest shirts for wear in the country.