peterc

Regarding American intellectuals, there is a splendid, if "old," (1987) book on this issue by Russell Jacoby titled "The Last Intellectuals." It is a powerful and incisive work. I read it when it was first published.

xcubbies

The decline in Brooks Brothers is nothing compared to the decline of the American pseudo-intellectual (let’s face it, America has never generated a true intellectual, all pretenders to the title merely having been too much interested in the acquisition of wealth and power to be objective).
Does one need to be an intellectual to identify a pseudo-intellectual?

TKI67

Frankly, considering how much I've spent over the years buying navy blazers, OCBDs and Clarke's Advantage chinos, not to mention the suits (Oh gawd, the suits!) I can't believe Brooks Brothers went bankrupt! Egad. :crazy:;)
Yes indeed! There was a time when the Brooks account was like a second tithe!

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
For me, my 30 years of experience with BB was based on service.

When they transitioned to the point where their staff were no more than poorly trained 19 year old till drones, I was pretty much done.

Now, I only order basic staples online (and heavily discounted) look for a Peal & co 75% off opportunity, maybe buy a formal shirt on occasion...that’s about it.

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.