Brooks Brothers Clearance Center (with pics, 56k warning)

Orgetorix

Honors Member
Pretty sure forum member Steve Smith gets all the BB stock he sells down there. Given how much he sells, I wouldn't be suprised if he cleans them out pretty thoroughly, and on a regular basis.

And Garland is so far out into the middle of nowhere that I can't imagine it being worth the time and risk of finding nothing unless you were already on your way from Raleigh to Wilmington with lots of time to spare.

Last edited:

Taken Aback

Elite Member
Org fell asleep next to a Steve pod. ;)

Whether more people start posting items from there on the exchange or not, I'd like to see more pictures of the place.

andcounting

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
And Garland is so far out into the middle of nowhere that I can't imagine it being worth the time and risk of finding nothing unless you were already on your way from Raleigh to Wilmington with lots of time to spare.

I must've made that trip 1000 times in my life. I'm a native who misses the homeland. If I only I cared back when I didn't care, my wardrobe might be very different. NC, where barbecue is a noun.

boatswaindog

Next week I am headed south towards Pawleys Island SC, but my wife has given me permission to make a detour to Garland NC. I am looking forward to it even if I don't find a thing to purchase.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
I'm planning on visiting the Garland store this Saturday on my way to the Outer Banks. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

andcounting

I've seen those NC sauces: it's more like a heretical sect.

Get thee behind me! Moderator Moderator! Come and usher this man right on out of here.

NC Barbeque is only loathed by surrounding states with their dixieland jealousy of such a noble and honored tradition. Sauce? Psh! Its a dish, not a sauce. It begins with the death of a pig and ends in family and friends blurring those lines.

JoshT

Very interesting and informative post. Many thanks. I hope to be making a trip to Garland NC myself in the not-too-distant future. And to be getting me some of that NC BBQ, too.

Titus_A

Get thee behind me! Moderator Moderator! Come and usher this man right on out of here.

NC Barbeque is only loathed by surrounding states with their dixieland jealousy of such a noble and honored tradition. Sauce? Psh! Its a dish, not a sauce. It begins with the death of a pig and ends in family and friends blurring those lines.

No one would begrudge residents of the Tarheel State their treasured convivial traditions, which we share in our own way. (Nor would I say anything against Carolina barbecue or Carolina barbecue sauce, an impressive and respectable culinary achievement in its own, somewhat strange, way, except firmly in jest.)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
LOL. Not sure if my priorities are consistent with the seeming standards of the Trad fora, but my justification for a trip to the Tarheel State would be...
Barbecue first; the BB Clearance outlet second and a farewell Carolina barbecue feast to kick off the return trip to Hoosierville!

mhj

LOL. Not sure if my priorities are consistent with the seeming standards of the Trad fora, but my justification for a trip to the Tarheel State would be...
Barbecue first; the BB Clearance outlet second and a farewell Carolina barbecue feast to kick off the return trip to Hoosierville!

Better size up after all that eating :biggrin:

rwaldron

Is there any particular place, that hose familiar with the area might recommend, to get some of this NC BBQ near or on the way to Garland?

dkoernert

Lexington No.1 in Lexington, NC is the absolute best IMHO. Unfortunately about 3 hours away from Garland, though. You might check Fayetteville for some places, and Clinton is kind of nearby on 701. If you are coming up from LA though, you might pass close enough to Lexington to stop there.

Steve Smith

Lexington type sauce is a completely different thing than Eastern NC sauce.

AFAIK, the nearest BBQ to Garland is just up the road in Clinton. From the BBCC, walk out the door, look to the right. That is 701 which takes you to Clinton.

Eastern NC BBQ is a pretty consistent product no matter which restaurant you frequent. There will be subtle differences but it is all good. I have strong preferences in Memphis and in Arkansas, but not here. And I have lived in Eastern NC for over 25 years.

Last edited:

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Lexington type sauce is a completely different thing than Eastern NC sauce.

AFAIK, the nearest BBQ to Garland is just up the road in Clinton. From the BBCC, walk out the door, look to the right. That is 701 which takes you to Clinton.

Eastern NC BBQ is a pretty consistent product no matter which restaurant you frequent. There will be subtle differences but it is all good. I have strong preferences in Memphis and in Arkansas, but not here. And I have lived in Eastern NC for over 25 years.

Amen, Brother!! Any place that has a small building behind it that appears to be on fire will do just fine.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
Made it by the clearance center today. Apparently it was a statewide tax-free day for clothing, which was a happy coincidence.

As others have said, lots and lots of not-very-useful odds and ends, orphaned pieces, etc. Very, very few complete suits, and the ones that were there were mostly Suiting Essentials (made-in-Thailand lastol blends). A good number of non-iron shirts and LOTS of ladies' clothing. Lots of ties, but a good number of them were either ugly or flawed. If you wear a small, you'll find a much better selection in your size, especially in outerwear and sweaters. I saw exactly one pair of men's shoes, a pair of red driving shoes.

I picked up a suede car coat, an 1818 windowpane flannel sportcoat, a couple of sweaters, an OCBD, and a popover OCBD sport shirt. Spent a shade over $300, which is not bad considering retail would be at least $1700 for what I got.

97800e9b.jpg

Inside. Sportcoat wall on the left, which was mostly orphaned suit coats. Ties front right. Racks of outerwear and tuxes beyond that, with dress trousers in the back of the room.

9ff5a0db.jpg

Shirts...mostly non iron, but a few OCBDs scattered throughout. The cubes up front hold sweaters and more (folded) shirts

14418aef.jpg

The complete suits. Up top is everything they had in 44R or smaller.

d068c0ae.jpg

Outerwear

fa77e514.jpg

This room was mostly ladies' clothing, but had sport shirts and casual trousers toward the back.

4ad258c8.jpg

Apologies for the poor photos. Folks at the regular BB stores don't like people to take pictures in the stores, and I wasn't sure how the ladies at Garland would feel, so I was trying to be discreet.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange