Brooks Brothers Clearance Center (with pics, 56k warning)

Orgetorix

Honors Member
98d506f3.jpg

Suede car coat $179.90
1818 Madison navy flannel sportcoat, $59.90
Lambswool sweater, $29.90
OCBD and sport shirt, each $17.90
Tie $12.90

boatswaindog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I was there on Aug. 7, 2012. The store is very small, just two maybe 30 x 15 rooms. One of the rooms is dedicated to women's clothing. It seems to be a very hit or miss operation. The selection of women's clothing, at least on this date, was far superior to the men's. Better selection, better quality. They had a number of irregular ties, labeled as such. I had never seen that in any Brooks store. Was it worth it? I suspect most shoppers would end up frustrated. For my wife and I it definitely was. She bought a black silk evening gown $400 marked to $30. It certainly looked flawless on her. She wore it one evening in Athens GA. And I lucked into one of those creme colored Irish linen suits Brooks featured a couple of years ago. The Fitzgerald model that appeared to be, in 46l, a perfect fit. $89 marked down from maybe $500. They only had one in any size.
I have been a customer since the 1980s. I deserve something for the effort!
For people headed to the Myrtle Beach area, I can definitely recommend getting off at Exit 90 going south on 91 and taking US 701 south. A far more interesting drive than the large interstate. It will take you directly to Garland and then to the Carolina shore destinations. A nice drive through NC farm country.

fedacct

Starting Member
If you go into the store and see something that you might like or
something you definitely like, you better grab it right away. The store
clerks were covertly working with a resaler while I was in the store and moving
merchandise back behind the counter. Shoes I was looking at started
quickly disappearing, and no one came clean about what happened. The guy
that was doing it strangely acted like he was an employee of the store and
appeared on the surface to be helpful to me and my friend while he was doing
it. I just sent Brooks Brothers an email about this incident

Another thing......you will need to try all suits on. Most of the ones they sell were custom orders that were cancelled. I found one where the jacket fit. The pants should have, but I couldn't even button them. The cuffs had been altered as well.

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Honors Member
If you go into the store and see something that you might like or
something you definitely like, you better grab it right away. The store
clerks were covertly working with a resaler while I was in the store and moving
merchandise back behind the counter. Shoes I was looking at started
quickly disappearing, and no one came clean about what happened. The guy
that was doing it strangely acted like he was an employee of the store and
appeared on the surface to be helpful to me and my friend while he was doing
it. I just sent Brooks Brothers an email about this incident

Another thing......you will need to try all suits on. Most of the ones they sell were custom orders that were cancelled. I found one where the jacket fit. The pants should have, but I couldn't even button them. The cuffs had been altered as well.

You posted the same story at Styleforum, where you're also a brand new member. Do you normally go around finding online forums to badmouth stores?

I'll post here what I said to you there: when I've visited, store employees were offering to hold items behind the counter for all customers. If you walked into your local Brooks Brothers retail store, they'd do the same thing for you. It's standard practice, not sketchy favoritism.

fedacct

Starting Member
You posted the same story at Styleforum, where you're also a brand new member. Do you normally go around finding online forums to badmouth stores?

I'll post here what I said to you there: when I've visited, store employees were offering to hold items behind the counter for all customers. If you walked into your local Brooks Brothers retail store, they'd do the same thing for you. It's standard practice, not sketchy favoritism.

Do you have a problem? I don't owe you an explanation.

Re: "...where you're also a brand new member." - What does that have to do with anything?

Get a life, and grow up! I really don't know why it bothers you so much or where you get off thinking you have the right to admonish someone online that you don't even know.

Last edited:

Taliesin

I reported on this forum many years ago about this phenomenon. Not surprised it's still going on. I've seen it more than once in Garland (used to stop there to/from beach vacations in the summer) - the employees will wait till the ebay reseller arrives, then open certain boxes and he gets to look thru them and pick what to buy before the items are ever placed on the racks. I once elbowed my way into this and started rifling thru a box of Golden Fleece suits at the same time as the reseller. They didn't stop me but clearly were not happy about it. He bought about 10 of them, and not a single suit had spent even a moment on the rack - directly from the box to the reseller's shopping bag.

I assume some kind of kick-back system is in place.

fedacct

Starting Member

BTW, congratulations. You made it onto my ignore list.

(Eagle2250, take heed for what? Why are you editing my post? So, he is allowed to insult me, but I'm not allowed to defend myself? Why aren't you editing his posts? His comment was condescending, unnecessary, and untactful. I didn't do anything to this guy, but yet he tries to pick a fight. Explain please....why the favoritism?)

Last edited:

fedacct

Starting Member
I reported on this forum many years ago about this phenomenon. Not surprised it's still going on. I've seen it more than once in Garland (used to stop there to/from beach vacations in the summer) - the employees will wait till the ebay reseller arrives, then open certain boxes and he gets to look thru them and pick what to buy before the items are ever placed on the racks. I once elbowed my way into this and started rifling thru a box of Golden Fleece suits at the same time as the reseller. They didn't stop me but clearly were not happy about it. He bought about 10 of them, and not a single suit had spent even a moment on the rack - directly from the box to the reseller's shopping bag.

They have signs throughout the store indicating limits that should keep this from happening. It's highly unethical. I mean, that store exists for the purpose of allowing BB to get rid of overstocks or irregular merchandise by offering it to customers at low prices, not for someone to come in and buy it in hoards, sale it, and make a profit.

I went back to try on other sizes of the same shoe to verify fit. Here, this reseller had grabbed them all. Neither he nor the employees came clean when I mentioned "Where did all the shoes go?" It really isn't putting the reseller out for me to swap a pair of shoes with him for another size. Yet, he didn't even offer. He still ends up with the same amount of merchandise.

The person I was traveling with was upset about this too.

The key here is the store personnel and reseller were acting covertly about the whole thing, which is essentially an admission that they knew they were doing something wrong.

Last edited:

fedacct

Starting Member

I just received an email from Brooks Brother's customer service. They said they'd investigate.

fedacct

Starting Member
Well whoopty ****. Can you stop trolling every BB thread about it now?

What a classy, intelligent, and mature response!

Trolling? With that flaming response, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

What the h*ll is wrong with you people? What kind of mature adult would write something like this?

I don't like going out of my way to a store and finding a reseller grabbing merchandise out from under me for his selfish desire to make a profit. One other person on here also agreed with me. My traveling companion also agreed with me.

All I'm doing is relaying my experience. That is what these forums are for. Am I not suppose to say anything just because you're irrationally bothered by it? Again, why does it even bother you to begin with? Maybe you and the other guy are resellers too. At the very least, it appears that you both have too much time on your hands. Then again, I see from one of your prior posts that you are 32 yo.....oh, and now I see that the other guy is 30 yo. So, I'm placing my bets that the issue here is immaturity.

Piece of advice: It isn't all about how you look. It's how you act too.

Congrats to you too since you also made it to my ignore list. Take your lithium, and everything will be OK.

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Honors Member
fedacct, I'm sorry if I offended you. The Trad forum here is a pretty close, genial community, and I hope you stick around, get to know us, and contribute. Experience here indicates that when folks show up and their first post is to flame a retailer, they usually aren't interested in becoming a part of this community on its own terms, and often are never heard from again. If that's not you, I apologize for making the assumption. Sometimes we get over-zealous in trying to keep this forum a conversation among e-friends rather than a Yelp-style bulletin board for people to make drive-by assaults on whoever they aren't happy with.

I was also trying to offer an alternative way of looking at the situation. Going by what Taliesin said, I may have been wrong about that too, and I'm happy to admit it.

If you do stick around, you'll see soon that bashing and defending Brooks Brothers may be the most popular intramural sport we have. Just make an effort to enroll and learn the culture before you join up on either side. ;-)

Again, if I overstepped myself, I apologize.

Piqué

What a classy, intelligent, and mature response!

Trolling? With that flaming response, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

What the h*ll is wrong with you people? What kind of mature adult would write something like this?

I don't like going out of my way to a store and finding a reseller grabbing merchandise out from under me for his selfish desire to make a profit. One other person on here also agreed with me. My traveling companion also agreed with me.

All I'm doing is relaying my experience. That is what these forums are for. Am I not suppose to say anything just because you're irrationally bothered by it? Again, why does it even bother you to begin with? Maybe you and the other guy are resellers too. At the very least, it appears that you both have too much time on your hands. Then again, I see from one of your prior posts that you are 32 yo.....oh, and now I see that the other guy is 30 yo. So, I'm placing my bets that the issue here is immaturity.

Piece of advice: It isn't all about how you look. It's how you act too.

Congrats to you too since you also made it to my ignore list. Take your lithium, and everything will be OK.

You've necro'd multiple threads across both clothing forums on this website as well as another website to quote yourself and post your experience. You've then followed it up with a play-by-play of your communications with the company and re-tellings of your same pointless story. I didn't say a word to you until I saw the venom that you used on someone who dared to question the necessity of the multiple cross postings of the same crap. At that point, I thought it necessary to inform you that that poster was not the only one unimpressed by you. I'm sure there are many others who are too polite to speak up, but that's neither here nor there. I have a newsflash for you: The Brooks Brothers Outlet exists to sell clothes, not to sell clothes to you. I doubt they care how that is accomplished, nor should they. If you need someone to tell you to pick something up that you like in an outlet store and hold on to it rather than coming back for it later, then I'm not sure if there's much help that can be given to you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange