Brooks Brothers Irritation

Flashy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Two weeks ago, I was in Boston for the day and stopped by the BB on Newbury Street. I considered buying a black merino turtleneck on clearance, but because of time constraints, did not. The next day I called the store to purchase the sweater over the phone. It had been sold, or the saleman simply could not find it, or didn't look for it. He volunteered to have it transferred if he could find one at another location. Later that afternoon, a saleswoman called with the news that she had found the sweater and would bring it into the store for the other salesman.

Fast-forward to today. I called BB-Newbury to see if my sweater had arrived. The salesman I'd spoken to originally had no recollection of our conversation, and no record of transferring the sweater. He offered to find the item again and ship it to me free of charge. A mild irritation, but I've worked in men's retail and wasn't overly concerned. Fifteen minutes later, I have a voiceman from the saleman. The sweaters have all been sent to the BB distribution center, he'd called all their major stores, no luck. Maybe he could show me some of their spring merchandise, or he has a black turtleneck in XL if I'd be interested. Tomoorow I'll call the North Shore BB, where I'd shopped in the past, talk to my saleswoman there. I don't expect much, but if its out there, she'll find that turtleneck.

This is actually the second issue I've have with BB-Newbury. Last summer, I decided to pick up their 3-pc linen suit that was so popular here. The salesman I worked with then attempted to put me in a Short, despite having work Regulars for at least 10 years. I called State St, then North Shore. The saleswoman at NS was quick to tell me she should transfer the suit from another store. In fact, she transferred in both the 42R I requested and a 43R. Thankfully she did, the 43 fit like a dream (I can't wait until it warms up and I can wear it again!) Since then, I've made a couple minor purchases, and the staff there have been quick to find answers to my questions about products, even items not typically carried in their store. She's volunteered to bring in formal wear and even shoes, though I declined as I wasn't ready to purchase at the time.

The North Shore store is smaller, less well stocked, and the staff younger, but given my experiences with the two stores, I won't hesitate to give them my business.

MrRogers

Two weeks ago, I was in Boston for the day and stopped by the BB on Newbury Street. I considered buying a black merino turtleneck on clearance, but because of time constraints, did not. The next day I called the store to purchase the sweater over the phone. It had been sold, or the saleman simply could not find it, or didn't look for it. He volunteered to have it transferred if he could find one at another location. Later that afternoon, a saleswoman called with the news that she had found the sweater and would bring it into the store for the other salesman.

Fast-forward to today. I called BB-Newbury to see if my sweater had arrived. The salesman I'd spoken to originally had no recollection of our conversation, and no record of transferring the sweater. He offered to find the item again and ship it to me free of charge. A mild irritation, but I've worked in men's retail and wasn't overly concerned. Fifteen minutes later, I have a voiceman from the saleman. The sweaters have all been sent to the BB distribution center, he'd called all their major stores, no luck. Maybe he could show me some of their spring merchandise, or he has a black turtleneck in XL if I'd be interested. Tomoorow I'll call the North Shore BB, where I'd shopped in the past, talk to my saleswoman there. I don't expect much, but if its out there, she'll find that turtleneck.

This is actually the second issue I've have with BB-Newbury. Last summer, I decided to pick up their 3-pc linen suit that was so popular here. The salesman I worked with then attempted to put me in a Short, despite having work Regulars for at least 10 years. I called State St, then North Shore. The saleswoman at NS was quick to tell me she should transfer the suit from another store. In fact, she transferred in both the 42R I requested and a 43R. Thankfully she did, the 43 fit like a dream (I can't wait until it warms up and I can wear it again!) Since then, I've made a couple minor purchases, and the staff there have been quick to find answers to my questions about products, even items not typically carried in their store. She's volunteered to bring in formal wear and even shoes, though I declined as I wasn't ready to purchase at the time.

The North Shore store is smaller, less well stocked, and the staff younger, but given my experiences with the two stores, I won't hesitate to give them my business.

You can't get mad over lack of inventory for items that have been on the shelves for months. Maybe it'll pop up in an outlet center

MrR

guitone

Elite Member
But you can get disturbed with a salesperson that is not attentive. If something was sent in and this person was not paying attention, shame on him and do go to the other BB, sounds like a good salesperson and she deserves to make the commission when you buy.

Cantabrigian

Elite Member
The Newbury store, despite it's impressive location and building is rather awful when it comes to service. I haven't gone frequently for over a year now but still have bad memories of that place.

Patrick on the third floor is particularly lazy and difficult to deal with. Unfortunately he somehow became 'my' salesguy when I was a regular. Since he was almost always there, I started going to State Street.

The super outgoing guy who works in the front of the State Street store was a little too salesy to be the perfect salesman in my book but was really on the ball. I wish I could remember his name...

Sean in sportswear at Newbury is the only person whose manager I've ever called to complain. I never would have guessed that a guy who sells offshore-made polos at a permanent 25% off could possibly be so condescending but I guess life is all about surprises.

The kinda hot older lady on the first floor of the Newbury Store is very attentive though she does get visibly ticked off if you ever return something you purchased from her.

In that price/quality range, I say go to the Ralph Lauren store down the street. For cashmere sweaters, you may try a little store on the second floor of a building a couple of blocks down from Polo - I believe Cashmere is in the name of the store. Seems like quality is slightly better than Brooks though the price is higher.

I'll stop now before I get more nostalgic for that city...

Flashy

Cantabrigian, I'll check out the Cashmere store. It sounds worth the visit to Newbury St. Most of my better wardrobe is Polo RL (a sizable portion ebayed) and I'll probably stick with the for most things in the future. I go to brooks for odd items and when something especially interesting comes up, like the 3 pc linen from last summer.

MrRogers, had I missed out on the sweater due to my own carelessness, I'd have no reason to be upset. However, when a saleman tells me he has located the item and will have it in the store in a few days, then two weeks later has no record of the order and now the item is out of stock, then yes, I can get upset. When I worked in mensware, if I had had such a laspe, I would expect the customer to call the manager. At the very least, I would expect to lose that customer's future business.

cornelianifan

Just my two cents: It is a little ridiculous to complain about customer service when you are asking salespeople to search high and low for a clearence item that is at this point probably deeply reduced. If you want bargains, you should be prepared to do the dirty work yourself, be it Brooks on clearence or Filene's or or Off 5th or Marshall's etc. I love a good deal, but my experience is that superb service + fantatic bargains is not a realistic expectation. (Exception is if you are a regular, but this was not stated).

cglex

You are asking too much of BB, they are a mass merchant after all.

As for the Newbury Street store, they seem better than the suburban Boston stores. I did meet Patrick at Newbury Street, he seemed ok. I bought GF on sale before XMAS from Richard at after XMAS prices. Richard is not a bright bulb but he is pleasant, helpful and does follow through. Fortunately, Newbury Street does have a competent and engaging tailor. The high point of the store, in my opinion. As for the Peabody store, my only experience was enjoyable. A rather blue collar Peabody woman, who was very curvy and her atire left little to the imagination. The older I get, the less I care about imagination. As for the Chestnut Hill store, well, the 2 good people are gone or are hard to find and the rest are either stupid, lazy or rude. That leaves the State Street store, met a friendly sales rep there last fall, but if I am going to pay to park, I might as well have Golden Fleece which the State Street store doesn't carry. The good news in all of this, is BB must discount heavily to move product. Last December I picked up a Golden Fleece for $850 and I can't complain about that.

Last edited:

wvuguy

Just my two cents: It is a little ridiculous to complain about customer service when you are asking salespeople to search high and low for a clearence item that is at this point probably deeply reduced. If you want bargains, you should be prepared to do the dirty work yourself, be it Brooks on clearence or Filene's or or Off 5th or Marshall's etc. I love a good deal, but my experience is that superb service + fantatic bargains is not a realistic expectation. (Exception is if you are a regular, but this was not stated).

IMHO, very well stated......

Flashy

For the record, I did not ask the saleman to find the sweater in another store . When he couldn't find it in stock, he offered to transfer it in. As I've stated twice already, my problem lies with a saleman promising to do one thing then not following through, and not contacting me that the item isn't availble.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.