wnh

Advanced Member
I picked up this Brooks Brothers 'University Shop' 3-piece suit from eBay and am curious as to its history. The only information I've been able to find about the 'University Shop', on the forum and on Google, is from this post by rojo where he states that it was the forerunner of Brooksgate, from the 60s into the early 70s.

To my knowledge the jackets offered by Brooksgate are darted, though some may be 3/2. The jacket on this 'University Shop' suit is a sack, though (and the pants are flat-front). I can't say what the drop on the suit is, since the original owner may have had the pants' waist altered.

Can anybody give me any more information about the 'University Shop'? This was the first time I'd ever seen anything from there on eBay, which I suppose isn't too rare considering the apparent age.

A couple of pictures, for the heck of it:

rsmeyer

My very first suits were from the BB University Shop and from BB 346 line.They were both good quality, and invariably 3-piece. Both lines were present at least in the mid-fifties on.When suits became less of a requirement for University students (alas!), the University Shop line was discontinued and somewhat replaced by Brooksgate.The pics you posted are representative of the look-narrow lapels and all. They were not made by Brooks-maybe by Norman Hilton, but I don't know.

wnh

Advanced Member
The jacket has a pretty high button-stance, too -- the middle button is a good 2.5" above my navel, compared to an older Brooksease blazer of mine whose middle button sits right at my navel.

Interestingly, but unrelated to much of anything, the tag in the inside left pocket says that the jacket is a 41 Long, but someone has taken a black ink pen and made the 1 into a 0, so that it (unconvincingly) reads 40 Long. Don't know why one would do that, but there it is.

KCE

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Interesting. I thifted a 4x2 DB blazer in navy worsted serge, and it also has the "University Shop" label. I think it is from the 70's because the lapels are really wide, the armholes are quite high, and the side vents go higher than normal. Also, the blazer was made in Sweden, which I thought was strange for a vintage BB item. I would love to find another blazer in the same material with a more modern cut.

waterside

Starting Member
From an NYT article in Feb 1975:
All sorts of changes in stores around town have been brought on by the fact that college lads now dress down instead of up. You don't need a university shop for that, now do you?

That's why Brooks doesn't have one any more. Last fall it was renamed Brooksgate, and in the words of Philip Iosca, its assistant buyer, it is for the junior executive, “the man who wants Brooks quality with a younger look.”
So "University Shop" was replaced by Brooksgate after Fall 1974.

I came across this old archival piece when I was randomly searching Brooks Brothers after BB's announcement of bankruptcy today...

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Seems sorta humorous that they would come up with 'Brooksgate' exactly at the moment Watergate was going on.
But rather than having a group called The Plumbers, AKA: THe White House Plumbers, (who carried out the White House Project 16), Brooksgate would have a clandestine operations unit called "The Tailors," who would have serrupticiously created the Brooksgate garments and slipped them into the BB inventory, eh? LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
But rather than having a group called The Plumbers, AKA: THe White House Plumbers, (who carried out the White House Project 16), Brooksgate would have a clandestine operations unit called "The Tailors," who would have serrupticiously created the Brooksgate garments and slipped them into the BB inventory, eh? LOL. ;)
Or they'd have ambled down the street one night, clumsily broken into J.Press and stolen next year's designs. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.