Brooks

AncientMadder

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Pricing error perhaps?

By the way, when did they raise the price of the OCBDs to $95? They were $79 a year ago—20% is a pretty big jump. Kamakura's appeal continues to grow.

Last edited:

nonartful dodger

The pricing error can happen. It's pretty cynical to call out the "American Supima cotton" used in a shirt made in Malaysia. I didn't realize Supima was using anything but American grown cotton.

Pale_Male

The pricing error can happen. It's pretty cynical to call out the "American Supima cotton" used in a shirt made in Malaysia. I didn't realize Supima was using anything but American grown cotton.

Scottish shetland knitted in Hong Kong? Huddersfield flannel tailored in the USA? Made in Canada of Harris Tweed?

BigTC

Starting Member
Just noticed the price bump. This must be very recent.

I'm up for an OCBD restock here in a few months; looks like it's finally time to switch to Mercer. I'm not usually one to complain about price (I think there's far too much of that, especially around here), but the disparity between price and quality at BB seems to be growing ever wider.

nonartful dodger

Scottish shetland knitted in Hong Kong? Huddersfield flannel tailored in the USA? Made in Canada of Harris Tweed?

The point is that Brooks Brothers that is producing a shirt in Malaysia but trumpeting the "American Supima" cotton, which as, Steve Smith noted, is redundant. I also don't recall them placing "American" in front Supima in the past. It seems as means to make it palatable that most of their shirts are now outsourced.

I have a few non-iron BB shirts, made in Malaysia, that have the points on the collars fraying after a year or so of medium rotation (roughly twice a month). This could be attributed to the no-iron process; but either way, I question the quality of BB nowdays in relation to the price.

mjo_1

Just noticed the price bump. This must be very recent.

I'm up for an OCBD restock here in a few months; looks like it's finally time to switch to Mercer. I'm not usually one to complain about price (I think there's far too much of that, especially around here), but the disparity between price and quality at BB seems to be growing ever wider.

I agree with this. The ~$90 and up threshold seems to open doors to makers like Mercer, O'Connell's, Gitman, etc. I like the cut of the 2 Press OCBDs I have but I'm hesitant to buy more or recommend them, as they really haven't held up well at all with light wear.

The $65 price for the must iron pinpoints is holding and seems to be correct. At $55 each with the corporate discount, I think I'll pick up a couple. Hope they're not phasing these out.

Eric W S

Brooks used HK since the early 90 late eighties. As did Press and a few others. Referring to the production as being made in a crown colony. HK is known for tailoring...

Pale_Male

I'd say BB is just being descriptive as are other merchants these day. Don't think they're "trumpeting" anything or trying to make importing more "palatable" They could say Made in Malaysia, Fabric made in USA -- or -- Imported, US Fabric... or something like that. Isn't "Scottish Shetland" just as redundant as "American Supima"?

Press shirts are $98.00 now and though USA-made have been known to have their own quality problems as mjo 1 noted above, and as i would note from personal experience. Still, I buy my shirts from Press and deal with the shortcomings.

Steve Smith

I think the BB made in US OCBD's are still of high quality.

Eric W S

I'd say BB is just being descriptive as are other merchants these day. Don't think they're "trumpeting" anything or trying to make importing more "palatable" They could say Made in Malaysia, Fabric made in USA -- or -- Imported, US Fabric... or something like that. Isn't "Scottish Shetland" just as redundant as "American Supima"?

Press shirts are $98.00 now and though USA-made have been known to have their own quality problems as mjo 1 noted above, and as i would note from personal experience. Still, I buy my shirts from Press and deal with the shortcomings.

Wasn't referring to today's marketing. Point was that Press and Brooks have used HK in the past, and the UK extensively in the past so it's kind of odd to bring up importation. They imported most of it originally from the UK and most of their historically great stuff was made in the UK back in the day. I'd say it's par for the course as oppossed to anything else.

BigTC

Starting Member
I think the BB made in US OCBD's are still of high quality.

I agree, but why settle for mere high quality when perfection is only a few dollars more?

Besides, I'm really disappointed with the direction BB is headed. I'm not sure I want to patronize a brand that is so eager to cash in on its heritage while simultaneously working overtime to destroy it. (.)

eyedoc2180

Slightly against the grain, here, perhaps. BB's no-iron shirt offerings are AMAZING of late. I was a denizen of must-iron, but jeeze..........these shirts are THAT good, to the point of getting compliments on the shirt alone. As Led Zepplin sang, "All will be revealed."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.