No problem mikel, and thank you for accepting the feedback as well.Thanks for that feedback.
I 100% agree with you on this, and it has been an enormous undertaking to try and re-work everything on the article section of the site.
Truth is that 95%+ of our traffic has historically come here to the community section of the site, and the balance visited the articles. Because of that, we put the lion-share of our focus/energy here first, then started to work on the article section.
We still have a lot of work to do, but we are & have been doing the following to make the visiting & reading experience better in that area:
We're planning on updating the theme too in the coming months, which will make everything even easier to read and find.
- Simplifying the navigation and category structure
- Re-writing old articles to bring them current
- Making sure all articles are easy to read on mobile, by reformatting them entirely. For example, multi-column tables are hard to read on mobile, so we're simplifying them to 2-3 columns at most
- Removing old articles that are no longer relevant
- Putting in redirects (forwarders) so that old links to content would go to the current updated version of the article
- Updated the navigation so that it mostly mirrored the navigation here, to make the transition between the article section and community more seamless. We use two different platforms, so achieving this is a little tricky
- Embedded the main community sections on the home page
- Changed the home page layout
- Writing a bunch of new articles covering popular topics people are searching for on the internet -- some of which summarize and go deeper into topics discussed here by our members
Of course, we love to get feedback about the visiting experience here, so if there's anything we can do to continue to improve it, please be sure to contact me via PM or our Contact page.
The approach in the past makes sense, especially if most of the traffic came here to the forums.
Reading all of the details going forward I basically agree with everything you plan on fixing. It did feel like the website was going downhill, but I feel like all these upcoming changes are in the right direction.
This could be off base, but I do think AAAC lost some users to Styleforum too (I post on both websites now). Perhaps contacting the moderators over there to make a thread and ask why some members may find AAAC offputting?
Last edited by a moderator: