Adventure Wolf

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Also thinking about it, it might be that people come here to learn and share how to look good. With Covid shutting everything down, who are we looking good for?

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I've found the classic menswear community over there to shame any jerks and they've stopped posting.
I'm not a fan of shaming or cancel-culture. If someone is a jerk, it's generally better to ignore them. If you don't, you can quickly fall into their trap of negativity, and the discussion goes south very quickly, and can get quite vicious at times.

That said, I do support sharing opinions - even strong ones -- as long as it can be done somewhat respectfully. Everyone has a different communication styles, so all this is rather subjective.

The thing I really don't like, as I mentioned before, is when people ask what they believe is a legitimate question, and veteran-members shame them because they feel the question doesn't belong.

So, ignore the jerks, and help the newbies :)

delicious_scent

I'm not a fan of shaming or cancel-culture. If someone is a jerk, it's generally better to ignore them. If you don't, you can quickly fall into their trap of negativity, and the discussion goes south very quickly, and can get quite vicious at times.

That said, I do support sharing opinions - even strong ones -- as long as it can be done somewhat respectfully. Everyone has a different communication styles, so all this is rather subjective.

The thing I really don't like, as I mentioned before, is when people ask what they believe is a legitimate question, and veteran-members shame them because they feel the question doesn't belong.

So, ignore the jerks, and help the newbies :)
I actually agree. I usually end up ignoring someone or at least trying to engage them thoughtfully in a non-aggressive way.

Word on not shaming newbies. I'm not a fan of gate keeping.

Gurdon

Maybe we need to have discussions about how to look good on Zoom :)
in the last several months I've been on zoom for work outs and social interactions with friends and family. Based on what I've observed, I think one should pay particular attention to the lighting, and in general, the composition of the image on the screen. Also, think about the background.

An easy way to get started is to use the self portrait function of your cell phone or iPhone to see how you look in different settings, and under various lighting conditions.

Being in zoom is a variation of having one's picture taken. Think about what you do when you want a good photo of a person.

If it seems difficult, try going on line, or to the library (many are accommodating patrons on line) and look into basic photography.

I hope this is useful.
Stay safe,
Gurdon

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.