Button braces- any trick for raising them in the front?

BigBrother

I’ve noticed, and perhaps this is just physics and is unavoidable, that every time I wear braces the pant line will rise toward the back (in other words the braces are pulling up more in the back than the front.) However, I’ve also always noticed that if I grab the front manually and lift it to produce a horizontal line, the creases in the pants just look and lay so, so much better.

Is there any way/trick to get my braces to pull up more in the front so that everything is even? This has pretty much been the case with any pair of pants I’ve worn and any braces, though to be fair I only have a few of the latter.

Thanks!!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I've not specifically noticed this phenomenon, but suspects it's true to some degree when I've worn braces/suspenders. You might try lengthening them slightly and see if that makes any difference, but I think it may largely be a product of geometry.

Edit: Traditionally trousers were often cut with fish mouth backs to better accommodate this. And were not considered unsightly since that portion would be covered by your waistcoat anyway.

FishMouthBack.jpg

Last edited:

Gurdon

Big Brother,

I've worn suits with suspenders for quite awhile. What you are describing sounds familiar.

It might be as simple as adjusting the length of the suspenders to bring them into alignment with your natural waist. This might, or might not, result in the need to adjust the length of your pants cuffs.

If adjusting the length of your suspenders doesn't fix the problem, try to find a tailor who can help you sort out the pants and braces.

In any event, when you have your suits altered, it would be well to include having the alterations tailor figure out where the pants should ride and where the buttons should be placed to position them correctly.

To see how men's pants should look when worn as part of a suit, or with a jacket and tie, look at the examples in the Ben Silver catalog, and note how long waisted virtually all of their trousers are.

If you are a fan of old movies, observe Fred Astaire when he's dancing without his jacket on, and observe how his pants are fitted with respect to his waist. Pay particular attention to this when he isn't moving, and you can see where the waistline of the pants is situated.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Gurdon

paxonus

I have had some trousers that had wrinkling under the back waistband. I had them altered to shorten the rise and remove the wrinkling. The fit was greatly improved and they hung much straighter with suspenders.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange