Cheap pants press/storage

paper clip

Elite Member
Gents,

Given the recent postings about pants pressing without starch, ties over doors and motorized, lighted tie hangers, I thought I'd share what I use for storage of my khakis:

This is not the exact one I have, but it is very similar. The spine of mine screw mounted onto the inside of my closet door. When I bought it, I thought all the pants would hang straight down from the rods, but due to the heft of 15 or so pair of khakis, the pants, piled on each other, ballooned out a foot or two, and kept me from closing my closet door.

As a makeshift solution, I screwed two eye-bolts into the door above and below the rack, towards the middle of the rack and use a tight bungee cord hooked through the eyebolts to secure and compress the pants to a lesser depth.

A side benefit is that the 'system' acts as a pants press. As long as I am careful to arrange the pants nice and flat, after being pressed by the other pants for a week or so, whenever I wear them next, they come out very presentable without starch or shiny ironing patches at the seams.

Just thought I'd share.

Any other such storage ideas out there?

Tomasso

Elite Member
A side benefit is that the 'system' acts as a pants press. after being pressed they come out very presentable without starch or shiny ironing patches at the seams.

But, aren't the trousers creased excessively at the knees? That's my experience with racks of that ilk.

ASF

I use a Corboy Pants press. After airing my suit, I will put the pants in the press for a cycle or two and then put it back into rotation.

I've had mine sine 1987. Paid $200 clams, it was a wise purchase.

ASF

paper clip

Elite Member
RE: creasing - nope. Rods are larger and rounder than hanger rods, so they aren't as 'sharp'.

Also, I don't have the closet space to hang 'em by their cuffs from clip hangers, so either I hang the pants on individual pants hangers (folded over the rod with a locking bar) or stack them folded - any way I do it, they're folded somehow.

With khakis, there's less of a concern with knee creases anyway, no?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.