Cheaper alternative to Allend Edmonds?

Alleline

I was the person who suggested Florsheim, and I'd like to return to the theme that one does not always pay for quality in menswear. It can be hard to buy good shoes from the internet, because you have to hold, bend and smell them to really know what they are made of. When you find black lace-up shoes that will take a nice shine, and confirm that they fit well and are constructed entirely of leather, that is going to satisfy all but the most fastidious critics. Those shoes may well cost $150 and probably will last ten years with good care and a competent local shoe shop to resole them occasionally.

I think sometimes one can appear TOO well turned-out. You must have heard the story of the British peer who had his valet wear his new suits for a few months before he took them out in public. For middle-aged men like me, there is a value in restraint and not wearing the very best thing you can afford. A good solid pair of well-kept shoes of a certain age sends a signal that I like. Same thing when I wear my 1995-era suits with now unfashionably long lapels. The fact I still have (and fit into) them is itself a statement. Not that I don't love a sale and something flashy just like the rest of the world. But perhaps new and expensive is not always the same as tasteful.

Last edited:

godan

Elite Member
I think sometimes one can appear TOO well turned-out. You must have heard the story of the British peer who had his valet wear his new suits for a few months before he took them out in public. For middle-aged men like me, there is a value in restraint and not wearing the very best thing you can afford. A good solid pair of well-kept shoes of a certain age sends a signal that I like. Same thing when I wear my 1995-era suits with now unfashionably long lapels. The fact I still have (and fit into) them is itself a statement. Not that I don't love a sale and something flashy just like the rest of the world. But perhaps new and expensive is not always the same as tasteful.

This brings to mind Dorothy L. Sayers' term "point device" for a man a bit too well turned out. I am older than Alleline, which may account for our different views. I have always preferred to begin each morning in neat, crisp, pressed, clean, shined, well-fitting, etc., quality garments that do, of course, gradually show the effects of the day's activities. I am probably influenced by the military and martial arts, which teach one to do his best without apology. Also, in academia, I often saw what was intended to be artfully rumpled appear as truly disheveled. Now past 60, living in a community with many retirees, I think that worn or down market garments may send the signal that this is an old guy who is letting things go. Certainly, appearing as a fit, alert, well-dressed senior citizen has its benefits in social, commercial and professional encounters.

Last edited:

Acme

I was the person who suggested Florsheim...

The problem with Florsheim is that you won't get a shoe that is entirely constructed of leather and goodyear welted for the OP's stated price point of $100. With AE's "made in the USA" appeal and shoebank pricing, it's easy to see why so many members prefer them.

That said, I wouldn't mind giving a new pair of Florsheim Kenmoors a try.

tocqueville

Suspended
I've done quite well with ebay and factory-second AEs and continue to look to those vendors for future purchases. I'd like to try Loake 1880s, as well.

Also, though a different style of shoe, Rancourts can often be had at sharp discounts. Not sold by Rancourt itself but by the many companies that sell them (Brooks Brothers, Steve Alan, Club Monaco, etc.). At the discounted prices, they offer crazy value.

Alleline

@godan - I'm not disagreeing with your choices, just stating mine. I can certainly ratify your decision to do your "best without apology" without abandoning my own decision to dress like a man who is slightly bored with his good fortune. I admire people with the zest to iron their pants and shine their shoes daily.

jwhite.aa

I have never been able to go along with this business of A-Es as the "gateway drug" to finer shoes. During the happy days of their outlet in Cabazon, California, I bought a passel of A-Es. Many pairs I got for only $129, a few for even less. Frankly, I feel set for life as far as good shoes go.

My alternative reading for "gateway drug" is that once one has the first pair of A-Es, it's difficult to contemplate going down in quality.

MaxBuck

Elite Member
Just returned a pair of Charles Tyrwhitt English-made shoes that had a "list price" (yeah, I know) of $400, marked down to $199, which I got for $160 with coupon. Aside from the fact they were the wrong size, their leather was unsatisfactory, having clearly been constructed with corrected-grain leather that was quite stiff and seemed unlikely to change that character once worn. They're clearly Goodyear-welted, though, and would likely wear well. Based on other comments on this site, I suspect they were made by Barker.

Back to AE for the time being, though next time I'm in France I'll be trying on Bexleys and Finsburys, and looking forward also to trying on Meermins.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
Just returned a pair of Charles Tyrwhitt English-made shoes that had a "list price" (yeah, I know) of $400, marked down to $199, which I got for $160 with coupon. Aside from the fact they were the wrong size, their leather was unsatisfactory, having clearly been constructed with corrected-grain leather that was quite stiff and seemed unlikely to change that character once worn. They're clearly Goodyear-welted, though, and would likely wear well. Based on other comments on this site, I suspect they were made by Barker.

Back to AE for the time being, though next time I'm in France I'll be trying on Bexleys and Finsburys, and looking forward also to trying on Meermins.
I have noticed many less than satisfactory comments about CT's clothing apart from their shirts. I have only experience with their shirts which I am quite happy with. I have shied away from their other offerings based on the comments on this forum site. They are in a state of perpetual sale, I wonder if anyone has ever bought anything at "list price" from them. So that raises the question; Apart from their shirts, are they the British equivillent of JAB?

MaxBuck

Elite Member
I have noticed many less than satisfactory comments about CT's clothing apart from their shirts. I have only experience with their shirts which I am quite happy with. I have shied away from their other offerings based on the comments on this forum site. They are in a state of perpetual sale, I wonder if anyone has ever bought anything at "list price" from them. So that raises the question; Apart from their shirts, are they the British equivalent of JAB?
I've been very happy with my hand-sewn tie from CT, and their customer service has in my experience been first-rate. I believe upr_crust has at least one of their suits, which speaks well of that specific product at the very least.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange