Church's Polished Leather

ToryBoy

Elite Member
Since Prada have been involved with Church's, they have taken some short-cuts. I hate to say this because I like both brands.

Scoundrel

Elite Member
I understand corrected grain leather to be a technological advancement in footwear. Take that as you will, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's like perfected leather. Don't you want your city shoes and boots made of perfect leather? Or, perhaps you enjoy imperfections in your city footwear and prefer your work shoes/boots made of artificially perfected leather.

Last edited:

Tonyp

Inactive user
Church makes very good shoes. If that is the style you desire I think the price is very fair. I like the shoes myself and have seen them for as much as $735. Now w/ the english pound at a low point you should grab them.

Hector Freemantle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's interesting that you have had a negative experience with Church polished shoes. I had an exchange on the topic of the merits of more expensive shoes a couple of weeks ago and someone reported that they had had a good experience with Church polished which merited their price compared to Loake. My experience with 'polished' shoes (neither Loake nor Church) has been that after some years they take on a greyness where the polished finish has worn away. This cannot be completely disguised
with shoe polish.

Leather man

Since Prada have been involved with Church's, they have taken some short-cuts. I hate to say this because I like both brands.

Maybe you know something I don't - quite likely. However if what you are saying is based on the use of corrected grain leather then please allow me to disabuse you sir - and everyone else on the forum. Love it or hate it - Church's have used corrected grain leather all my life ( 45 years old). My father's business shoes were black corrected grain. The use of this leather has nothing to do with Prada. Once called Bookbinder, now Polished Binder, this shiny leather has been a staple of the Church wardrobe for decades.

I have some but most of my collection of Church's is full grain calf.

jamgood

Elite Member
Church use of "binder" predates the U.S. Bicentennial. It was featured in the old N.Y. store's bicentennial themed catalogue of which one vaults a copy. Perchance Leather Man exhibits bronzed baby bookbinder brogues atop the familial hearth?

(Apropos of nothing, Allen Edmonds at one time made extensive use of a more egregious version, Corfamesque.)

Leather man

Church use of "binder" predates the U.S. Bicentennial. It was featured in the old N.Y. store's bicentennial themed catalogue of which one vaults a copy. Perchance Leather Man exhibits bronzed baby bookbinder brogues atop the familial hearth?

(Apropos of nothing, Allen Edmonds at one time made extensive use of a more egregious version, Corfamesque.)

Indeed I do old bean!

Maybe you know something I don't - quite likely. However if what you are saying is based on the use of corrected grain leather then please allow me to disabuse you sir - and everyone else on the forum. Love it or hate it - Church's have used corrected grain leather all my life ( 45 years old). My father's business shoes were black corrected grain. The use of this leather has nothing to do with Prada. Once called Bookbinder, now Polished Binder, this shiny leather has been a staple of the Church wardrobe for decades.

I have some but most of my collection of Church's is full grain calf.

Do you happen to own any of their shoes in Burgundy Appalorse then?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange