Men's Clothing Forums banner

Cigarette as Trad Accessoire

13K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  videocrew 
#1 ·
From my point of view, smoking is definitely a part of "trad" culture. Of course, celebrating a cigar or pipe is much more rewarding than just having a profane cigarette. However, from my point of view, there are a few cigarettes which qualify for trad, mostly according to following criteria:

1. No filter

2. Old brand (at least 50's)

3. No major marketing fuss

4. No additives

5. Adequate package

My personal favourite, of course, is the good old Senior Service. People are at least as puzzled when I smoke it as they are puzzled about my outfit. :)

Would be curious about your opinions.

Cheers,
A.

#53 ·
I smoke on nights out (about 3 a week these days :( ).

I'm more of an Anglophile than a Trad when it comes to cigs, and as such Dunhills (internationals) are my drug of choice.

It may be too bohemian for this crowd, but if you roll your own you open the door to a world of great tobaccos.
I've also discovered it's a great conversation starter. I've had dozens of girls come up to me and ask me about rolling my own, only to walk away shortly thereafter, once having heard my nervous, awkward attempts at conversing with the fairer sex.

American Spirits are one of the better tasting gaspers out there in my humble, though many people refuse them in order to be anti-anti-establishment.

#54 ·
There is really nothing uniquely trad about cigarette smoking. At one time almost everyone did it, whether trad or not. The poorest of the poor, the King of England, Harvard Profs, doctors, prison inmates, all puffed.

I suppose that you could ask the question of what type of cigarettes would have been smoked by the people who the 'trad' phenomenon is based.

But can't we leave this one thing out of the whole trad thing?

After all, smoking does kill people. Ironically, only someone living in the 1950s might dispute that fact.

Maybe we need to think about Trad coffins and funerals while we're at it.

What would the trad type want to be burried in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.