Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Just realized I put this Ralph pic in the wrong thread. Oops, stupid me.

So, how 'bout an actual illustration for today.
e24508e3d17f4870e5340614f771f73b.jpg

(I was surprised the cool Polo coat illustration from yesterday didn't get more comments. I thought it was a cool ad for a cool coat and the swatch of material was neat to see. Also, loved the collar pin and '60's skinny tie.)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The crew neck has a rectangular front rather than a rounded one. I don't think I have seen a sweater with a neck quite like that.
My first thought was it's a regular rounded crew neck that just rumpled a bit to look square, but maybe you're right - hard, for me anyway, to tell. If it's square, that is something I don't remember having seen before.

I like the sweaters, but they need to be careful with those fly-away shirt collars...a careless turn of the head and they could easily cut their own throats! LOL. :crazy:
That felt like an early example of all the collar popping and other silliness (like when we see a shirt-collar's points peeking out of a turtleneck - as we've shown in the Ralph thread) that shows up in modern fashion ads.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
@Fading Fast , I was looking at the four stacks of sweaters at the bottom of the advert, just above the big "McGregor" brand name. Comparing the V necks with the others, one can see a distinct rectangular shape for the neck opening.
Good catch. You are spot on, that is a rectangularly shaped collar. As we know now, that style never took off - thankfully.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I would be a pipe smoker but all the ladies in my life have had an aversion to tobacco. And given a choice between a pipe and feminine company . . .
Good choice.....and a healthy one as well! However, as I recall my old high school wrestling coach told us "the ladies" would drain us of our precious bodily fluids, reminiscent of the opinion expressed by General Jack Ripper in the movie "Dr. Strangelove." LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Designs that eased the transition from a military uniform to a civilian uniform! Now that's the way civilians should dress....at least some of the time. LOL. ;)
Growing up in the '70s, for lots of jobs - delivery guys, repair guys, taxi-drivers, gas-station attendants, even movie theater ushers - about half the workers still wore uniforms. It wasn't consistent any more, but still, plenty of workers were wearing very military-inspired looking uniforms even into the '80s.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange