drpeter

I be someone.
Squint. You'll see a second one on the other side of the neck. A dark bungee type cord holds them together. They're small sand bags, probably leather, used as ballast when riding in small planes of that era, if your actual weight was not enough to balance your side.
Amazing, Peaks! You know, I considered the possibility that it might be a bag of some sort, but dismissed it because I could not think of a context in which that might be worn by someone deplaning in a suit and tie. Very astute. I'll recommend that you be appointed aviation consultant to AAAC.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I be someone.
Squint. You'll see a second one on the other side of the neck. A dark bungee type cord holds them together. They're small sand bags, probably leather, used as ballast when riding in small planes of that era, if your actual weight was not enough to balance your side.
People actually did that? It's certainly logical, given the kites that passed as aircraft in that era, but I'm surprised.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
They really loved large lapels in those days, didn't they?
Yes, but they also loved diversity as you can see in model #934 in the background left.

I'm guessing this was from the '30s or '40s as, in the '30s in particular (which carried into the '40s somewhat), there was a wide variety of styles in circulation at one time.

You'll see wide and not-wide lapels, single- and double-breasted suits, one-, two- and three-button jackets, every type of shirt collar possible and all sorts of patterns and colors in that period. It was, IMO, the decade (or two) that had the most variety in men's clothing within the basic shirt-tie-suit construct.

drpeter

Yes, but they also loved diversity as you can see in model #934 in the background left.
Jeepers! For a second, I thought I had somehow missed the dashing young African-American model wearing a polo coat...

I agree, the 30s and 40s saw a lot of interesting experimentation with styles and variations. My father had a small collection of ties he acquired then which had some extraordinary patterns -- I particularly liked the flowered silk ties he wore (almost four inches in the blade part!). The silk was dark coloured, and the flowered patterns were embroidered, I think, with a brighter gold thread. I was a small boy in the fifties and these ties were still around then in his wardrobe.

Last edited:

drpeter

That sounds like some of the ties my grandfather wore. He was the family "dapperist" in contrast to my father who was very utilitarian in his suits and ties. Grandpa had four inch ties in Hawai'ian print with pin-ups on the lining. :laughing:
Oh Sarge, I just picked up a tie like that at Goodwill for two bucks. It looks very proper on the outside, a challis with a tiny neat pattern. But look at the tip of the blade inside and open out the flaps, and there's a well-endowed blonde wearing nothing but a big grin. Perfect for certain Christmas parties that some of my aging reprobate friends hold, sneaking away from their wives for a night out with the lads...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange