drpeter

There are days when I think the very best thing about the North American continent is Autumn. Can there be anything so heart-breakingly beautiful as the foliage in full bloom on a sunny, late-October day?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Thank you....and a Happy Easter to you and the AAAC Brotherhood!

Bye the way, did you see it snowing at those inaugural baseball games on opening day? :icon_scratch:;)
You're welcome. The Easter illustration is such a fun one.

I did see that. It seems - from vague memories - that over the years, once in awhile, we get snow on Opening Day somewhere. I'm just glad the Boys or Summer are back. I'm not a fanatic, but I enjoy following the baseball season. Hopefully, by the summer, we'll even be back to full stadiums - maybe.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
That's the nice thing about cricket. It's always warm weather somewhere in the 120 countries of the world where the game is played, LOL. There are no seasons for the game.
Years ago, I was running an FX team and we flew the London crew into NYC for a few days of in-person meetings. We also took them to a baseball game (Yankee stadium) so that they could see some classic Americana.

They asked us to go with them the next night to a bar that was playing a cricket tournament on TV - it was some finals of some league and the bar was clearly a British expat place.

I had a great time, but no more understood cricket afterwards than our British colleagues did baseball after their trip to the stadium.

It is amazing how much these sports get into you as a kid. I'm sure, if I've lived abroad, I'd probably learn the game, but to truly be a fan, my guess is you have to have grown up with these games.

I did love the stylish look of cricket though.

drpeter

It is amazing how much these sports get into you as a kid. I'm sure, if I've lived abroad, I'd probably learn the game, but to truly be a fan, my guess is you have to have grown up with these games.

I did love the stylish look of cricket though.
Yes, one must grow up with the games one really loves. In the US, people love games that they often never played themselves, such as American football. But in India, those of us who were fans of a game had played at some level -- clubs, leagues, school and university teams. I played cricket in all of these venues, and I loved the game, being part of a team. I also played badminton, a tough sport to play, especially when playing singles.

I liked watching other sports, notably basketball, and I had an affection for the game because they played it in India too. Now of course, the Indians are playing baseball to some extent, and even American football, here and there! And the converse is true. The US has a national cricket team, Level 4 in the ICC tournaments, but doing reasonably well. Most Americans don't know this. Here's the really funny historical thing: The first ever Test Match Series in cricket between two countries was played in the mid-19th century between Canada and the United States! Fascinating, isn't it?

I also think cricket is perhaps the most elegant game I know of, at least in terms of team sports. The movements of batsmen, bowlers, and even fielders carry with them a grace and style that is unequalled in most other sports -- except perhaps skating, gymnastics and similar sports.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Looking at an/a illustration/picture such as the above, I'm always left wondering "is the cane a stylish accessory or a functional necessity? Perhaps a concealed saber? :icon_scratch:;)
I know all but nothing about "walking sticks," and that one, to a modern eye, looks like a cane. However, I doubt, back then, they would have shown a disabled person in an ad, so my guess is it's a walking stick.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.