drpeter

With his eyes locked on the open space on the overhead luggage rack, the big guy, with the even bigger suitcase, walked all over his fellow travelers feet, :(;)
I think the message is right -- one should check one's luggage.

Whenever I travel by air, I check my baggage, except for a small briefcase, thinking it would be helpful to others if I don't bring anything larger on board. And then I find that the overhead bins are packed to the rafters with giant suitcases crammed in every which way. I had to argue with a fellow once so that he would not shove a monster "carry-on" suitcase on top of my soft-sided briefcase and smash my laptop inside it! One more reason why, bring retired, I don't travel by air much anymore. Crowded airports, harried travelers -- who needs the aggravation?

But train travel is actually more civilized -- for one thing, there is more space. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but eventually mag-lev trains running over monorail networks will be the fastest way to get from city center to city center, especially since airports are usually located far away from downtowns. And think of the reduction in fossil fuel usage when switching from aviation fuel to electric power.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Those suits look marvelous, but that camera is what has captured my attention in the illustration above. Not admitting that I am getting (that) old, but I can remember when those multiple lensed movie cameras where the hot Christmas gifts for the men of the house, with a note on the wrapped gift telling one to open first! LOL. Good memories, for sure. ;) Now we use our iphones to make our videos. :(

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I think the message is right -- one should check one's luggage.

Whenever I travel by air, I check my baggage, except for a small briefcase, thinking it would be helpful to others if I don't bring anything larger on board. And then I find that the overhead bins are packed to the rafters with giant suitcases crammed in every which way. I had to argue with a fellow once so that he would not shove a monster "carry-on" suitcase on top of my soft-sided briefcase and smash my laptop inside it! One more reason why, bring retired, I don't travel by air much anymore. Crowded airports, harried travelers -- who needs the aggravation?

But train travel is actually more civilized -- for one thing, there is more space. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but eventually mag-lev trains running over monorail networks will be the fastest way to get from city center to city center, especially since airports are usually located far away from downtowns. And think of the reduction in fossil fuel usage when switching from aviation fuel to electric power.
I love train travel because, as you note, it feels so much more civilized to me. Living in New York, I have pretty good train coverage from Baltimore to Boston, with okay train travel to few modestly farther points as well. If in anyway possible, we choose Amtrak over flying when traveling anywhere in, as this area is called, the Northeast Corridor.

When say, I have to go down to Washington, I look forward to the trip if I do it by train and dread it if I have to fly. Sadly though, my experience has been, once I get out of the Northeast Corridor, the Amtrak experience declines greatly for too many reason to go into here - not all of them Amtrak's fault - but so much so, that I'd rather fly, say, to Chicago than endure a train trip on what once was the nicest train line in the country.

I agree with you that I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes, but I wish the US had invested / would invest in a state-of-the-art interstate train network.

As to luggage, trains are also a pleasure as there is, unless you go nuts, plenty of room without inconveniencing others. On planes, I don't understand why the airlines don't enforce their own policy but instead seem to allow people to carry these large-sized hard-sided pieces of luggage that simply overwhelm the overhead space. Hence, the ten-or-more minutes of passengers and the airline attendants trying to shuffle it all around the bins after everyone has boarded.

I bought, years ago, a soft-sided carry-on piece of luggage that is well within the airlines guidelines. It's small enough that, if I board last, and all the overhead bins are jammed full of the hard-sided luggage with wheels, I can slide mine under the seat in front as the airline suggests. And I don't push it and try to bring a "second smaller bag" etc.

It's all so exhausting as so much in life is made harder because some people won't follow the reasonable rules in place and, also, don't use common sense and practice some common courtesy. To wit, if you and your spouse both bring large hard-sided luggage, plus two smaller bags (purse for her, small backpack for him) and two puffer coats - even if all that is technically allowed - do you really think that it's fair as, clearly, if everyone did that, there would not be enough room.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Those suits look marvelous, but that camera is what has captured my attention in the illustration above. Not admitting that I am getting (that) old, but I can remember when those multiple lensed movie cameras where the hot Christmas gifts for the men of the house, with a note on the wrapped gift telling one to open first! LOL. Good memories, for sure. ;) Now we use our iphones to make our videos. :(
I, too, remember those days, which in truth if you stretch it to digital cameras, aren't that long ago as there was a time, into the '00s, when a digital camera was a hot gift.

We bought several for the nephews over the years back then and they were excited as heck. Now, as you note, it's all miraculously done with one's phone today.

I love the progress, but get sad when I see, as I did a few Christmases ago, a really nice (and pretty expensive) digital camera we bought one of those now young men sitting in a dusty bowl in their parents' kitchen that clearly hadn't been touched in a long time.

I don't blame them at all for moving on, it just somehow made me sad to see this once-important gift now completely ignored.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I, too, remember those days, which in truth if you stretch it to digital cameras, aren't that long ago as there was a time, into the '00s, when a digital camera was a hot gift.

We bought several for the nephews over the years back then and they were excited as heck. Now, as you note, it's all miraculously done with one's phone today.

I love the progress, but get sad when I see, as I did a few Christmases ago, a really nice (and pretty expensive) digital camera we bought one of those now young men sitting in a dusty bowl in their parents' kitchen that clearly hadn't been touched in a long time.

I don't blame them at all for moving on, it just somehow made me sad to see this once-important gift now completely ignored.
Jeeze Louise, my friend, we are really going to be sad when it is us the relatives have dumped into a bowl and are gathering dust due to lack of any attention being placed upon us over extended periods of time! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.