eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I'm guessing that the flash camera belongs to the guy leaning against the wall and wearing a fedora, a news reporter hoping for a story; the lady with the steno-pad si an executive secretary, being questioned about her boss, lying dead in a far corner of that well lit room; the well dressed gentleman wiping his brow is thinking "this wench is intellectually the 'alpha' participant in this interrogation' and the uniformed officer is standing there thinking...."jeez Louise, my feet are killing me!" The wheels of justice do turn Oh-so-slowly and there are a million stories in the "naked illustration/city." These incredible illustrations have so much to tell us. ;)

drpeter

Maybe you know this already Eagle, (and I think I wrote about it some time ago) but pictures like this one look surprisingly similar to the set of pictures used in the personality test known as the Thematic Apperception Test, or TAT. The art work is definitely from the 1920s-50s.

In the TAT, the client is asked by the psychologist to construct a story based on the picture shown to them on a page-sized card. The psychologist then scores the story using a form of content analysis. So, what you have done is beautiful -- it is your response to the picture, and it is a great story. For a psychologist, it's also a window into your complex mind, but we won't go there, LOL. We'll just be lone figures walking the mean streets, searching for the truth.

By the way, you'll like our next selection for my film discussion Zoom class for seniors at the university: Roman Polanski's Chinatown, a brilliant work that is also a colour noir film! Nicholson and Dunawaye are perfectly cast and turn in terrific performances, but John Huston as Noah Cross is amazing -- a director who can also act -- rather like Orson Welles.

Last edited:

TKI67

Elite Member
For a second I thought they were talking about The New Yorker, The Saturday Evening Post, or perhaps Harper's Bazaar. Then I saw the TV Guide logo. But you never know: Maybe the old versions contained scholarly articles on Vitruvian architecture, or the paintings in the Uffizi. It could have been a contender...
Similar to "never a nod when a wink will do" this stands for "Why read a book when the topic is covered in a magazine? Why read a magazine when the topic is covered on the web? Why surf the web when the TV has shows about everything?"

drpeter

I love duffle coats. I have two smashing examples: One is a vintage camel-coloured Gloverall and I can wear that and pretend to be Monty on the deck of a destroyer, LOL. The other is a lovely navy blue John Partridge, also vintage, with a green, blue and red tartan lining. Both have wooden toggles and rawhide attachments. Thick wool, warm and comfortable in Wisconsin deep-freeze winters.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The ladies appear to be expressing different degrees of mirth. Perhaps they are reacting to the incongruity of the gentleman' s showing off his brand new fancy britches with the belted-back strap, while having an unworn tie stuffed in his left cheek pocket of those britches. If one is going to strut their stuff, it is imperative that we do it right! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.