Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
55d7012c52930eff4aa8f32ea82aad01.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
OK, I seem to be confused again. The ladies and gentlemen appear to be on a boat deck, enjoying the sunshine, the sea air and the view.Why is the guy with the chapeau wearing the golf gloves? Or are those smoking gloves and he's trying to avoid getting tobacco stains on his fingers? LOL. ;) Do people do that? :icon_scratch:

"Chapeau," checks notes, nothing, Googles it, "Ah, hat." LOL

I believe some women wore gloves when smoking for that reason, since the obvious solution of not smoking didn't occur to them, but I have no idea if that is what he's doing here. Perhaps it's a private yacht and he was hitting golf balls off of it early. :)

This illustration reminds me of those awesome Apparel Arts/Esquire ones from the same period.

TKI67

Elite Member
OK, I seem to be confused again. The ladies and gentlemen appear to be on a boat deck, enjoying the sunshine, the sea air and the view.Why is the guy with the chapeau wearing the golf gloves? Or are those smoking gloves and he's trying to avoid getting tobacco stains on his fingers? LOL. ;) Do people do that? :icon_scratch:
Mojito mitts! The cool refreshment stays in the glass, not on your pinkies!

TKI67

Elite Member
Mrs Eagle, sporting her "June Cleaver" house dress and a perky little apron, greeting her returning home, Cold Warrior husband at the front door with a tray of gastronomical goodies (AKA: Dinner). Yea....right, in my fevered dreams! Besides, given the size of those servings, what is she going to eat? ;)LOL.
He is just hanging up his hat and coat. The tray should be holding a pitcher of martinis or Manhattans to prepare his palate for those TV dinners of ham steak, green peas, and mashed potatoes.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
In movies form the '50s,/'60s, there appears to have been a time when "TV Dinners" were "a thing" that, at the margin, got a bit more respect than they do now, perhaps because they were new and different then.

Also, maybe I'm bias as my mom all but didn't cook, so Swanson's Hungry Man TV Dinners were a very regular part of my diet growing up in the '70s. I still have a fondness for the "apple cobbler" dessert (in quotes because it tasted a bit like soft cardboard with apple bits in syrup, but you're a kid, you're hunger and it's food).

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I rarely got TV dinners as both parents were excellent cooks, and I felt deprived.

My father couldn't make toast and my mother was only somewhat better, but she hated "the kitchen," so you could have come over anytime as we'd have gladly shared our TV dinners with you.

Howard

Connoisseur
In movies form the '50s,/'60s, there appears to have been a time when "TV Dinners" were "a thing" that, at the margin, got a bit more respect than they do now, perhaps because they were new and different then.

Also, maybe I'm bias as my mom all but didn't cook, so Swanson's Hungry Man TV Dinners were a very regular part of my diet growing up in the '70s. I still have a fondness for the "apple cobbler" dessert (in quotes because it tasted a bit like soft cardboard with apple bits in syrup, but you're a kid, you're hunger and it's food).

I used to eat TV Dinners a long time ago, they now contain so much sodium content, it's unbelievable, I was used to eating The Meatloaf OR Fried Chicken OR whatever I was in the mood for, the mashed potatoes were watery, lumpy and disgusting and the dessert portion either it was apple cobbler or brownie was at least yummy.

ran23

For a short time, I was having veal cutlet dinners for a quick breakfast. Veal went into a wheat English Muffin sometimes with potatoes. this didn't last long.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I rarely got TV dinners as both parents were excellent cooks, and I felt deprived.

I too cannot recall my Mama ever serving us TV dinners, But I did become aware of the Hungry Man TV dinners as an adult. living in the BOQ, I would occasionally embrace the convenience and heat one up for dinner. Also the Strategic Air Command had a bad habit of serving her nuclear alert crews the USAF version of Hungry Man TV Dinners...They called them Foil Packs and they were actually much better than one might expect! LOL. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The only time we ever ate TV dinners was if we were sitting in front of the TV for something like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. It was a rare event and didn't exactly elicit rave reviews. I have been advised that they are much better some 40 years later but have not been in any mood to experiment therewith. Given the quality of the local pizzeria, why bother?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.