Fading Fast

Connoisseur
This kid dresses like a Polo Ralph Lauren ad/mannequin.

Wonder if those floppy collars go to a button down.
I had a similar thought as it is a pretty darn early example of a sweatshirt under a sport coat and not because somebody just came out of the gym and tossed the sport coat on for warmth. Even in the '70s, at least by the older generation, a sweatshirt under a sport coat would have seemed very odd. Hence, this kid was ahead of his time or, as we see often, most things go back much farther than we think.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Yes.

Speaking of classic beverage containers, milk isn’t really milk unless it was poured from a glass bottle that had been delivered early in the morning by the milkman.
What, you don't like the current shmashmortion of a cardboard container that used to open into a triangle pour spout, but now has a round screw cap jammed awkwardly near the top?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Since we all seemed to enjoy the coke one from yesterday. Love the iconic press pass in the hat band look.
View attachment 57681
Do you remember those old chest type Coca-Cola dispensers, with the bottle opener screwed on the front corner of the case. The bottles were suspended on rails near the top of the case and you had to slide the bottle to the end to pull out your cold refreshing bottle of Coke! It would be so cool to have one of those classic chests sitting in the corner of my study. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Two other details I appreciate are the impeccable and timeless look of his collar, tie, and jacket and the reasonable size of his Coke. The Big Gulp was still far in the future.
Plus the collar pin or bar (hard to tell). And yes, there was a time when we didn't super-size everything.

Do you remember those old chest type Coca-Cola dispensers, with the bottle opener screwed on the front corner of the case. The bottles were suspended on rails near the top of the case and you had to slide the bottle to the end to pull out your cold refreshing bottle of Coke! It would be so cool to have one of those classic chests sitting in the corner of my study. ;)
I remember those and the ones where you'd see the coke bottles through a long and narrow glass door. There is a very large collectors market for those machines with a lot of them out there as restoration guys pull them out of junk yards and restore them. They aren't inexpensive, but depending on your budget, aren't crazy either and are available. All this I've learned over the years from watching shows on the History channel.

Andrew Christopher

Starting Member
I remember those and the ones where you'd see the coke bottles through a long and narrow glass door. There is a very large collectors market for those machines with a lot of them out there as restoration guys pull them out of junk yards and restore them. They aren't inexpensive, but depending on your budget, aren't crazy either and are available. All this I've learned over the years from watching shows on the History channel.
There was one of those types in my church (of all places) when I was a kid in the mid/late 80s. It was already a relic by that point.

I’ll always remember my grandfather giving me change every Sunday after church to buy a cold Dr. Pepper in a glass bottle.

TKI67

Elite Member
Plus the collar pin or bar (hard to tell). And yes, there was a time when we didn't super-size everything.

Those older style cooler chests for soft drinks and longnecks are pretty common in the more kitschy BBQ and burger joints around here.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Another fun Coke one. Note the implied rise in his trousers based on where the belt hits versus the suit jacket's buttons.
View attachment 57736
Great illustration that brings back cherished memories. I miss the preponderance of Coca-Cola and other sodas in glass bottles. How many of us can recall collecting empty bottles to turn in for pocket change...or perhaps just a chilled bottle of Coke? As to the rise you note in those trousers...now that's what I am looking for, but finding not! (Heavy sigh.) ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.